Balance Adjustment Category

Options
Flopbot
Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2023 in Bills and Income

Greetings,

This post does a decent job summarizing the current state of things - that Recurring Transactions are just not currently designed to work with Manual Accounts.

With that in mind, over the last 3 months, I've been trying to work through setting up a manual Cash Envelope system for clothing. As part of the setup, I'm trying to build in a Recurring Series that's used somewhat like a reminder - if nothing else. Unfortunatly, I only get to troubleshoot my Recurring Transaction once a month (around the 1st of each month). It's rather slow going. Based on the post above, I know its an uphill climb and I'm not asking why it doesn't work.

My question this month is whether “Balance Adjustement” is a system category AND if it is, is it somehow hard coded as a Transfer?

When I try to create a Recurring Series using “Balance Transfer” as the category, it automatically changes the type field from “Bill” to “Transfer”.

Chris
Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
New to Simplifi in 2021.

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Flopbot,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

When testing this, I am not seeing “Balance Adjustment” listed under Categories & tags, which means that it's a built-in Category that cannot be edited or deleted. Additionally, when using this Category for a transaction, it automatically ignores it from Reports and the Spending Plan, just as Simplifi does with any ‘Transfer’. When selecting to include it, I am not seeing it listed in either location, so I believe it is designed to be kept neutral and to be fully excluded no matter what (which makes sense to me).

If you'd like to set up a Recurring Bill for balance adjustments, I'd suggest creating our own unique Expense Category so it can be used for the Series and the Series can be a Bill and not a Transfer.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie that does help. Thank you.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.