Recurring Series Bug when editing a Reminder (edited)

Options
Flopbot
Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2023 in Report a Bug

Greetings,

Now that I know it exists, it's not that big of a deal for me, but it could be frustrating for others. Steps to recreate:

1. Go to Settings>Recurring.
  2. Create a Recurring Series for +$60 using any Spending Category.
  3. Click Save. It should show as a “Bill” type.
  4. Edit anything other than the amount in the Recurring Series you just created.
  5. Click Save. It should still show as a “Bill” type.
  6. Look at the amount and it will have changed from +$60 to -$60.
  7. Edit it back to +$60 and click Save.
  8. Look at the amount and it will have changed from -$60 to +$60.

Basically, it will stay + as long as you don't edit anything in the recurring reminder. Then it gets automatically changed to a - amount.

Chris
Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
New to Simplifi in 2021.
Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Flopbot,

Thanks for reporting this behavior to the Community!

Since you're creating a Recurring Series in a way that Simplifi is not designed, I don't think we'll be able to report this as a bug. When you use an Expense Category for a Series, the amount should be negative and the Series will either be a Bill or a Subscription. When you use an Income Category for a Series, the amount should be positive and the item will be set up as Recurring Income. The same goes for using Transfer Categories for the Series.

I think you're confusing Simplifi by entering a positive amount for a Recurring Bill that has an Expense Category, and this is why you're seeing the behavior that you are. If anything, I'd say the bug would be that you can even create a Recurring Bill for a positive amount. I'll bring it up to the Product Team to make sure, but I'd definitely suggest using Recurring Series the way they're intended so you don't see funky behavior like this. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hello @Flopbot,

Thank you for your patience as I was further researching this behavior!

Since you are able to create a Recurring Bill Series for a positive amount, we've determined that Simplifi should not automatically change the amount when another edit is made to the Series. We do think the setup is confusing Simplifi, however, this behavior does not occur on the Mobile App and should not be happening on the Web App either. It definitely needs to be researched.

I was able to reproduce this behavior using your provided steps, so I have everything I needed to get it reported. I'll be sure to post back as soon as an update is received. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-15589

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Coach Natalie!

Leave it to me to find a non intended setup that breaks something!

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello @Flopbot,

Great news! A fix for this issue is expected with the 3.75.0 Web Release. Please be sure to let us know if you continue to see an issue after that time.

-Coach Natalie

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie ,

That's great news! Thank you!

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Options

@Flopbot, is this issue resolved for you now?

-Coach Natalie

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie, this does indeed appear to be fixed on the Web App! Thank you!!!

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.