Monthly Summary - March "23... Whooooa, what just happened?

Options
DannyB
DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2023 in Troubleshooting

When my February Monthly Summary came up this is what I found:

Total February Expenses = $645,353.82! Net Income $-639,632.45. A quick glance at the Top Categories and Top Payees explains this number, but why are my investment transactions showing up in my Monthly Summary? Anyone else see this in their Summary? Will this go away if I spend a few hours updating my investment accounts?

Danny
Simplifi user since 01/22
Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @DannyB,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this behavior with the Monthly Summary Report in Simplifi.

Since “cash flow” investment types are now being included in Reports again, this is most likely what you're seeing. Are the Investment Transactions in question “Uncategorized” with a ‘Payment/Deposit’ Type? If so, I'd suggest either editing the transactions to the proper (non-cash flow) Type each month before the Monthly Summary Report is generated (if applicable), ignoring the individual transactions each month before the Monthly Summary Report is generated, or you can also just ignore the entire Investment Account from Reports.

Unfortunately, the Monthly Summary Report won't be updated with transactional changes once it's generated. However, we do have an existing Idea post available here where you can vote on this ability. I will also send this post over to our Product Team so they are aware of how Investment Transactions are impacting the Monthly Summary Report.

Sorry for not having a better answer, but I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie , Thanks for the reply. No big deal. Just having some fun. We made a final move of my wife's employer based retirement savings to our personal investment accounts. This created a lot of transactions in our investment accounts that I haven't gotten around to updating so what you say about Payment/Deposit and Uncategorized is exactly what happened. I spent some time yesterday working on updating these transactions, but there are soooo many… I may go with ignoring all our investment accounts since I don't really need to track that data in Simplifi.

Danny
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

… and here is my march monthly summary! Again, this is not a big deal, just having some fun. In Feburary our total expenses was way out of wack due to a couple of rollovers in our retirement accounts from one firm to another. In March the inordinate income recorded has to do with that same process and timing of invest accounts being moved around for improved efficiency. This should all level out in April and we will be back to more "realistic" monthly summaries.

Danny
This discussion has been closed.