Recurring Transaction types - Bill versus Transfer

Options
RobWilk
RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2023 in Bills and Income

I happened to notice today that a recurring ‘transfer’ between a checking account and a credit card account is considered a ‘bill’:

Where a recurring ‘transfer’ between a checking account and a savings account is a Transfer:

Is this a bug or a feature?

Also, if it's a feature, I'd like to introduce an idea post to create another category called ‘payments’ so I can separate my credit card payments from the things charged to the credit cards as actual bills.

-Rob

Rob Wilkens

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @RobWilk,

Thanks for reporting this issue to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this behavior in Simplifi.

If the item in question is a Recurring Linked Transfer where the Category of the Series is the receiving account, it should be a “Transfer” and not a “Bill”. I wonder if this was caused by the recent changes they've made to Recurring Linked Transfers and the upcoming “Transfers” bucket that will be added to the Spending Plan.

If the Recurring Series in question doesn't have a lot of transaction history that's been linked to it, you may consider deleting and recreating it to see if doing so resolves the issue. However, if deleting it causes issues with having to go back through and link several transactions, or if this is of concern to you, you can instead just try editing the existing Series. Maybe try changing the Category to an Expense Category and saving it, and then editing it back to a Linked Transfer to see if it changes to a “Transfer” when doing so.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

Right on the edit recurring transaction screen…

1. If Transfering to a credit card, “Bill” is selected as “Type” and it cannot be edited

2. If the linked transfer is to a savings account, it autofills ‘transfer’ as type and it cannot be changed

3. Any other expense category and i can choose if it's a bill or subscription

I get that credit card transfers might be seen as ‘bills’ rather than ‘transfers’, though they are also transfers I guess this is intentional or “by design”.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @RobWilk,

Thanks for checking and posting back!

I do see what you're referring to now, and am seeing the same thing when creating a Recurring Linked Transfer to a credit card account specifically. I think this might be part of the changes with the new “Transfers” bucket that's being added to the Spending Plan. Let's wait until the “Transfers” bucket is released so we can see how everything is supposed to work at that time, and then we can go from there. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.