How are totals calcuated in Reports?

Options
bcrossman
bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2023 in Using Reports

I've been playing around with the Reports more recently. I really like the idea and customization in Reports, but I'm confused how the totals are calculated. It seems off to me, and I can't figure out the problem.

For example, if I run a report on my spending by category this year to date (or this month, or last month, or a custom period, etc.) the total in the upper left corner of the report seems to match the sum of the numbers next to the pie chart but not the sum of the individual transactions below the chart. If I click to select all of those transactions, the sum shown is idffernt than the total in the upper left of the report. Same if I export the report into an excel spreadheet — the sum does not match Simlifi's total in the upper left of the report.

I'm running these reports without filters (or filtered only for a specific account). Can anyone shed any light on this or tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @bcrossman,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community, although I apologize for the confusion.

The way I understand it is the transactions listed below the Report are not indicative of the actual numbers displayed in the Report. For example, if you're running a Spending Report, although you will see full split transactions, as well as transactions that have been ignored from Reports, listed in the Transaction Activity of the Report, these items will not be counted toward the calculations. Additionally, it is my understanding that “Transfer” transactions will be excluded from Report calculations regardless of the visibility settings (this is mentioned here).

I definitely understand how this can cause confusion, especially when attempting to export the transactions associated with a Report as a replacement for being able to download or print Reports. I wish I had a workaround for you, however, this is the way Simplifi's Reports are designed.

With that said, I did find an existing Idea post available here requesting that Reports and the Transaction Activity be combined that you may be interested in adding your vote and feedback to. Otherwise, we also have an existing Idea post available here requesting the ability to download or print Reports that may accommodate what you're looking for.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

I have a suspicion about what may be going on, but it's only a theory. I haven't dug into it much.

If you have transactions with split categories, it's not clear to me how this is accounted for in reports. For instance, a single Amazon order might include Home Supplies and Electronics for $24.00, with the categories split out as $6.00 for Home Supplies and $18.00 for electronics.

If I run a spending report on Home Supplies, the above transaction is included, but it displays the entire transaction amount of $24.00, instead of just the $6.00 portion of the bill. Behind the scenes, however, I suspect it is only calculating the $6.00 for the number in the upper left, rather than the full $24.00 that is displayed in the table.

If anyone has more complete thoughts or has looked into this in more detail than I have, please add your observations.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, @ajbopp! I think you're on to something. Split transactions definitely seem to be part of the issue. And it makes some sense — to use your example, if I wanted a report on Home Suppplies spending, I would want that report calculation to be $6, reflect only the “Home Supplies” portion of a split trancastion. While I would prefer to also export only the Home Supplies transactions, I understand that Simplifi exports the entire split transaction and thus, selecting the transaction in the list for export will reveal a total that doesn't match the report's calculation. That's a little annoying, but at least I understand what's going on (I think).

Where I am really left scratching my head through, is when I just run a report on total spending, without any category filters or restrictions. For total spending, it doesn't seem like split transaction s should make a difference. Everything should be counted, so I'm still a little confused by the discrepancy.

I will keep digging when I have time, but curious if others have run into this issue.

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It also seems that the list of transactions below the spedning report includes some (but not all) personal income categories, and includes some (but not all) transfers. This is true even if the transactions are not part of a split transaction. Personal income and transfers are excluded from the spending report's calcualtions in the upper left and in the chart, which helps explain the discrepency as well. But I don't know why these tranasctions would be inlcuded among the list of transactions generated for a spending report. That part still confuses me.

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, @Coach Natalie. I think your understanding is consistent with what I'm learning about reports and the corresponding transactions. It is confusing though; it would be more intutive to make the list of transactions that is generated in a report better correspond to the report calculations.

I've added my votes to the ideas linked above, and hope those features are implemented soon. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.