System Administrator admin
edited April 2023 in Report a Bug
Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @Flopbot,

Thanks for posting back!

Since the issue is occurring on the Web App only now, we need to get some more information from you. First, are you just seeing a UI issue with the bubbles in Other Spending where bubbles are showing that should not be? Or are the items in question actually giving you an inaccurate Other Spending total? Also, are the actual transactions listed in Other Spending, or is it just the bubbles?

Please provide the following additional information:

1. A screenshot of the Planned Spending expense that the transactions should have been applied to (Home Goods), expanded so the transactions and total and all of the details are viewable.
    2. A screenshot of the “Home Goods” bubble from Other Spending that shows the total, as well as the transactions included.
    3. A screenshot of the Transaction Detail window for each of the transactions that should not be showing in Other Spending.
    4. If the Other Spending total is incorrect due to this issue, please also provide what the total should be.

Thanks in advance!

-Coach Natalie

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Natalie

HOLD THE BOAT! There's something going on, but it's hard to seperate it from user error. IGNORE my screenshots from March 2-3, 2023. I think I had an error with one of my Planned Spending series that was casuing “Home Goods” to show up. That error has been fixed.

Still, there is some other underlying issue going on.

After my error was resolved, both the Desktop App and the Mobile App are reporting the same exact amount under Spending Plan>Other Spending…

• Desktop App “Other Spending” = -$1,011.18
    • Mobile App “Other Spending” = -$1,011.18

But, when I count the Other Spending bubbles, I get…

• Desktop App Bubbles = 7
    • Mobile App Bubbles = 8

The added bubble on Mobile is for my “Housing & Home Maintenance” category…

Here is the Desktop App bubbles…

This is the structure in my categories…

Housing & Home Maintenance

>Upkeep - Appliance Repair

>Upkeep - Home Improvement, etc.

>Plus some 17 other subcategories.

ONLY ONE of these subcategories are covered in Planned Spending…

The transaction that is showing up on the Mobile App but NOT on the Desktop App is this one…

Note that the “Upkeep - Appliance” subcategory IS NOT associated with Planned Spending. That category is “Upkeep - Home Maintenance, etc.” which is located under the same Parent Category.

SO IN SUMMARY, I beleive that the underlying problem might be that the Desktop App is not displaying bubbles for spending related to subcategory that are located under the same Parent Category as another subcategory which is associated with Planned Spending. Clear as mud, right!🤨 The Mobile App displays them correctly. The Desktop App is incorrect.

I just turned in this this by clicking Desktop>Profile>Alt Button>Send Feedback.

Sorry if this gives you a headache!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie

Hello @Flopbot,

Thank you for narrowing down the issue!

I went ahead and closed the other ticket since I never heard back from the other reporting user, and since you're no longer seeing that issue. I would like to go ahead and get what you're seeing now reported in a new ticket. To do so, I have a few more bits of information I'll need to gather from you:

1. The browser and browser OS you're using to access the Simplifi Web App.
    2. The OS of the computer you're using to access the Simplifi Web App from.

I'd also like to gain some clarification on the Other Spending bubble for ‘Housing & Home Maintenance’ that shows the $83.90 transaction for “Upkeep - Appliance Repair” on the Mobile App only. Can you try to find where this transaction is being counted in the Spending Plan on the Web App? Is it listed in the Transaction Activity of Other Spending, or do you see it being counted toward the Planned Spending item for “Upkeep - Home Improvement”?

Since your Other Spending totals match between Mobile and Web, I'm wondering if just the bubble is missing in Other Spending on the Web, but the transaction is still being calculated toward the Other Spending total (it sounds like it is), and if you see it listed in the Transaction Activity of Other Spending. Or if it's potentially listed somewhere else in the Spending Plan on the Web App.

Also, just to clarify, do you have a Planned Spending expense set up for the Main Category of 'Housing & Home Maintenance', or just the Subcategory of “Upkeep - Appliance Repair”?

-Coach Natalie

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Natalie

1. Desktop App Browser - Chrome, Version 111.0.5563.65 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    2. Computer OS - Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

At this point in the month, I almost have too many transactions to determine specifically whether the total $ amount includes the individual transaction amount or not. However, as is in the screenshots above the “Shark” transcation does appear in the transaction register on BOTH the Desktop App and the Mobile App.

By playing around with the category for the "Shark” transaction after the above screenshots, I was also able to confirm that the transaction does completely disapear from the Desktop App but that it remains on the Mobile App whenever you get rid of the split. So that leads me to believe that this statement is 90% accurate…

I beleive that the underlying problem is that the Desktop App does not display bubbles for spending related to subcategories that are located under the same Parent Category as another subcategory which is associated with Planned Spending. The Mobile App displays them correctly. The Desktop App is incorrect.

Here is the answer to your category question…

Housing & Home Maintenance [NOT in Planned Spending]

>Upkeep - Appliance Repair [NOT in Planned Spending]

>Upkeep - Home Improvement, etc. [IS in Planned Spending]

>Plus some 17 other subcategories. [NOT in Planned Spending]

Let me know what info you need that I'm leaving out.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    edited March 2023

Hello @Flopbot,

Thank you — that information helps a lot!

There is one thing, though, and I apologize for the confusion. I see that the transaction is entered in the account register, however, we need to determine where it's listed in the Spending Plan on the Web App, or if it's missing from the Spending Plan entirely. This will help us determine if it's just a UI issue with the Other Spending bubble missing on the Web, if the transaction is also missing, or if there are calculation errors present.

Since the Other Spending bubble is displayed on Mobile, I would assume that the transaction in question is also displayed in Other Spending there as expected. However, let's go ahead and check this, and a few other things:

1. Locate the “Shark Clean” transaction in question in Other Spending on the Mobile App (to confirm it's there).
    2. Look in Other Spending on the Web App to see if the transaction is listed in the transactions list there.
    3. If it is not, please look through all other sections of the Spending Plan on the Web app to see if you can locate it.
    4. If you locate it in a different location, provide the section it was located in, as well as the total for that section from both the Mobile and Web Apps (to compare and determine if the potentially misplaced transaction is causing a calculation error).
    5. Compare all sections of the Spending Plan's totals between Mobile and Web — ‘Income after bills and saving’ total, ‘Planned spending’ total, ‘Other spending’ Total, ‘Available’ total. Provide any discrepancies you see.

The more we can narrow down the issue, and the more information we can provide to the Product Team, the better. Much appreciated!

-Coach Natalie

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Natalie

This screenshot is from Spending Plan>Planned Spending>Home Improvment card/series…

The transaction on top can be ignored. For Shark Clean, I changed both parts of the split to “Upkeep - Appliance Repair” for testing purposes. It is showing up here under Planned Spending with these settings for the Planned Spending series. Note that the category on the Series is a subcategory at the same level as “Upkeep - Appliance Repair”.

Whis this setup, when the transaction 100% “Upkeep - Appliance Repair”, the bubble does not show up at all in either Mobile App or Desktop App.

When I change the split to some “Upkeep - Appliance Repair” and some “Sales Tax” (which isn't covered by Planned Spending either), then the bubbles shows up on on the Mobile App, but not the Desktop App.

So, with this additional information, I can say this with 91% confidence…

I beleive that the underlying problem is that the Desktop App does not display bubbles for SPLIT spending related to subcategories that are located under the same Parent Category as another subcategory which is associated with Planned Spending. The Mobile App displays them correctly. The Desktop App is incorrect.

And this, which may or may not be related, with 40% conficence…

When Spending Plan>Planned Spending>cards/series are tied to a SUBCATEGORY, they display spending related to other subcategories that are also located under the same Parent Category as they are, dispite that other category not being used for the series.

Sorry, this is getting so convoluted! 🧐

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    edited March 2023

Hello @Flopbot,

Thanks for posting back!

We still need to get some further details from you to help narrow down the issue, as well as the differences between Mobile and Web:

1. Did you locate the transaction in question in Other Spending on the Mobile App?
    2. Since you located the transaction in question in Planned Spending on the Web App, please also check the same Planned Spending item on the Mobile App to see if the transaction is listed there as well.
    3. Also, since you located the transaction in question in Planned Spending on the Web App, please provide the total for Planned Spending as displayed on the Web App as well as the Mobile App.
    4. Compare all sections of the Spending Plan's totals between Mobile and Web — ‘Income after bills and saving’ total, ‘Planned spending’ total, ‘Other spending’ Total, ‘Available’ total. Provide any discrepancies you see.

Although we won't know what the cause of the issue is until the Product Team has had time to research it, we do need to provide as much detailed and thorough information as possible when reporting the issue so they have a full understanding and can properly investigate. Please provide this information without editing the transaction or any Spending Plan items. We need to determine if this is a UI issue or if there is a calculation error present.

Sorry for all the of the back and forth on this, however, we want to try to simplify things before sending it over to the Product Team. Thanks in advance!

-Coach Natalie

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Natalie ,

Sorry, I'm going to have to come back to this at the start of a new month with a fresh transaction. As the month goes on, it just gets too complex to easily troubleshoot what is going on. Someday, perhaps we'll get it worked out, I'm sure.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.