Incorrect Value in Savings Goals Details Page

ajbopp
ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2023 in Report a Bug

App Version: Web App
Browser: Chrome

There is a label on the Savings Goals Details pages stating “Average” when it is meant to say “Available”

Anthony Bopp
Simplifi User Since July 2022
Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

This is probably not a surprise: But same issue exists on Mac OS Web version in Chrome.

Rob Wilkens

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Actually, based on the Android Mobile App, it looks like the problem may be more complex.

This actually does appear to display an average, though it's unclear how many months it is using to determin the average. and it certainly displays a much different number than the web app. Based on this, it would appear the web app has the incorrect value under the label.

Anthony Bopp

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting and useful, and I see it in my Android app as well (Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, App). I wonder if there is a way to reset the average, i.e. can i set it to last 6/12 months or do i need to delete an recreate a goal? I have one with a $916 target (that changes) but it says “$319 on average” which might be right based on how long i've had this goal (and current month's contibbutions are negative because i borrowed from this goal but intend to pay it back in a week).

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited March 2023

Hello @ajbopp,

Thank you for reporting this behavior to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue with Savings Goals in Simplifi.

Although I'm not sure how Simplifi calculates the "Average" for Savings Goals, I am not personally seeing any differences between this number on the Web App versus the Mobile App. I even added a contribution and everything was updated in both places to match. With that said, would you mind fully signing out and back into the Mobile App to see if your numbers then match?

If the difference persists, let's try a full uninstall/reinstall of the Simplifi Mobile App. We will need to narrow down if this is an issue where the Mobile App displays something different than the Web App, or if there is an actual calculation error present with the "Average" amount.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭

@Coach Natalie I was looking at Savings Goals, not Watchlists. Sorry for the confusion. The web app consistently shows what is available to spend for the savings goal under the Average heading. The mobile app consistently shows a much smaller number and appears to be an average amount contributed over the past few months. I think the web app must be wrong because available to spend is already displayed in two other places on this page.

Anthony Bopp

• Coach Natalie
    edited March 2023

Hello @ajbopp,

My apologies as well — I accidentally typed "Watchlist" when I meant "Savings Goal". Sorry for the confusion!

Yes, I agree that "Average" is what should be displayed since the 'Saved so far' amount is displayed in other areas. However, when testing this, I am seeing that the amount displayed on the Mobile App for 'Average' matches what's on the Web App. I'm not sure if this is because my Savings Goals were created this month (quite possible), or if the issue is specific to you.

With that said, did you go ahead and uninstall/reinstall the Simplifi Mobile App to see if the numbers then match? If so, and the amount for the 'Average' on the Web App is still incorrect, please provide the following information:

1. A fresh screenshot of the Savings Goal from the Mobile App with a wide enough scope to easily tell it's from the Mobile App (it looks like it's from the Web App in the screenshot you provided above).
    2. The details of the Savings Goal in question, including the Name, the Goal Amount, and the Monthly Contribution Amount.
    3. The browser and browser OS you're using to access the Simplifi Web App.
    4. The OS of the computer you're accessing the Simplifi Web App from. (If you're seeing the issue on a mobile web browser specifically, is there any way you can check from a computer as well? This will help us potentially narrow the issue down to a mobile web browser.)
    5. Confirm whether you're seeing the issue with other Savings Goals or not.

Please also provide your logs via the 'Send Feedback' option:

1. Log into the Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send

Thank you!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Natalie Way back in the second message in this thread, I wrote that i see the same problem on Chrome on MacOS. Also, yes, if your current month is the only month of activity in your savings goal, the average would be the same as current month's amount.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    edited March 2023

Hello @RobWilk,

Ahh yes, I do see your comment — my apologies!

If you'd like to provide the requested information instead, I can certainly escalate it that way. I'm unable to reproduce the behavior personally, but I suspect it's because I may have just created my Savings Goal this month.

If you do provide the requested information, please be sure to include comparison screenshots of the same Savings Goal(s) between Mobile and Web. Also, if you have multiple Savings Goals with the same issue, I'd say two examples will suffice. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Here are 4 screenshots — the "Home" savings goal is at least a couple months old, and it's plainly visible there if you compare the desktop and mobile app screenshots…. The other goal i included is "less obvious" because there is only 1 month in the goal.

I started aggressively using savings goals to justify saving money this month. I've already saved for all planned expenses over $50 in recurring transactions through december. (Stuff like Microsoft 365, Costco renewal, Paramount Plus, Apple Care for MacBook annual, and of course Simplifi renewal).

1. A fresh screenshot of the Savings Goal from the Mobile App with a wide enough scope to easily tell it's from the Mobile App (it looks like it's from the Web App in the screenshot you provided above).

The web app is where the problem is, screenshots attached - mobile app is right

1. The details of the Savings Goal in question, including the Name, the Goal Amount, and the Monthly Contribution Amount.

"Home" and "Used Car Fund", "Home" goal $23,000, "Used Car Fund" goal $7500. "Home" Monthly (this varies): $906.47, "Used car fund" monthly: $237.47. "Home goal" was set by observing the price of the lowest purchase price trailer home i could find, "Used Car" goal based on what I saw for cars that were at least newer than my current car (which is about 15 years old)

1. The browser and browser OS you're using to access the Simplifi Web App.

Mac OS Chrome

1. The OS of the computer you're accessing the Simplifi Web App from. (If you're seeing the issue on a mobile web browser specifically, is there any way you can check from a computer as well? This will help us potentially narrow the issue down to a mobile web browser.)

MacOS on MacBook Air 2020 model

1. Confirm whether you're seeing the issue with other Savings Goals or not.

I only have one goal that's over a month old - but it can be said that the others are illustrating the same behavior. Ask me again at the end of April and i may have more examples.

Please also provide your logs via the 'Send Feedback' option:

1. Log into the Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send

Will do

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

I had edited that last reply to add more details

But I want to add—

If you were to tell me to delete and recreate a savings goal, that would make the problem appear to go away for a month, by the nature of the problem.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    edited March 2023

Thank you, @RobWilk!

I can use the "Home" Savings Goal as an example since the issue is obvious with that one. The only additional info I need from you is the version of Chrome you're using (I typed "OS" above when I meant "version" — my apologies for the confusion), and the OS of your MacBook, which can be obtained by clicking the apple in the upper left, and then clicking "About This Mac".

Much appreciated!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Chrome is up to date Version 111.0.5563.64 (Official Build) (arm64)

MacOS Ventura 13.2.1 (Hopefully not to be confused with Ace Ventura: Pet Detective)

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie

Thank you, @RobWilk!

I have gone ahead and gotten this escalated, and will be sure to post back as soon as an update is received.

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-15764

• Coach Natalie

Hello @RobWilk,

It looks like a fix for this is expected with the 3.75.0 Web Release.

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Natalie Great News

@ajbopp You weren't tagged, but may be interested to know a fix is 'coming soon' as you originally reported this.

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.