Balance roll-over for planned spending categories

Options
Billybig
Billybig Member
edited April 2023 in Using the Spending Plan

First - I've tried many budget/personal finance apps, and Simplifi is the best, so thank you.

It would be great if the balances of the Planned Spending categories rolled-over each month. (positive or negative) My budgeting is rarely perfect for each month, but I do want to stay on-track over longer periods. If the balances don't roll-over, it's easy to drift off course. As clunky as Mvelopes was to use, I did find the envelope roll-over to be most helpful. Hope to see this in a future release.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Billybig,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with the Community!

For the ability to roll over unused Spending Plan funds, please be sure to add your vote and feedback here. We also have a feedback post available here where our Product Team is soliciting feedback from users on rollover abilities.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• jasonld
    Options

I agree. I think there is a major disconnect between what your bank account actually has, and how the month's spending plan is.

For example, I saved a $1000 goal for a one-time purchase I needed to make. It reflected in one spot in the side menu as a goal amount and showed "available" for the bank account, but when that purchase debited, and I removed the goal (no longer needed), the month spending plan showed that extra $1000 as putting my spending plan in the negative.

This is also to say, that the spending plans dont seem to account for your account balance at all, so there's where the disconnect lies if you do have money set aside for emergency funds, etc, but the saving goals appy to the monthly spending plan.

Am I seeing this all wrong?

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The thing is, the spending plan is designed so you -don't- spend all your money. If it was simply your bank balance, it wouldn't add any value. You don't have to stick to it, it doesn't really matter if it's negative.

I 'mostly' like it as is, but as has been stated by others here, 'savings goals' when used should be taken into account in the spending plan.

I have a large number of active savings goals right now, many of the ones i'm contibuting to monthly are due a year or more in the future, some due this year are all already met. Maybe when i 'withdraw to spend for goal', it should transfer that money to the spending plan.

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.