Category Titles (edited)

Options
kirstenfinnigan
edited April 2023 in Getting Started

I have recently changed from YNAB to Simplifi. I am trying to further refine the titles of my types of postings. I would like to both ADD and RENAME category titles and wish that I could see my notes on an entry more easily. Is that possible?

Best Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @kirstenfinnigan

Welcome to Simplifi and the Simplifi online community! 🙋‍♂️

I'm going to risk assuming that you are talking about the general categories you use to categorize all your transactions. That being the case HERE is a support article that will guide you through the process.

Here is a quick summary of the article for the web app: click on the Gear Icon on the left hand menu select "Cateigories & Tags". Your tags will be listed at the top of the and all your existing categories will be listed below. To add a new category click on the "+ Category" button upper right of Category list. To change the name of an existing category click in the name field and make your changes. If you want to make a category a subcategory click on the - in the Subcategory column and select the category you want to put it under.

For me it's easiest to do these kinds of editing using the web app sitting at my laptop rather than the mobile but this can be done in both web and mobile. To find settings in the mobile app click on the 3 bar menu at top left of screen and "Settings" will be towards the bottom of the list.

Hope that helps. Don't hesitate to

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@kirstenfinnigan welcome to Simplifi! You can certainly add, rename, and delete categories to your heart's content in Simplifi!

Some considerations:

• You only have two levels to play with.
    • There is no historic record or notes field pertaining to each Category. One thing that I've done which seems to work well is that I created a Google Sheet with a duplicate of my Categories and then whenever I make tweaks throughout the year, I update this Google Sheet. When the new year rolls around, I duplicate the sheet and rename it with the current year. This gives me a historical record of what my categories were at the end of each year.
    • It MIGHT be good to mostly link your "Planned Spending" (in the Spending Plan) to top level categories instead of Subcategories.
    • @DannyB is right, it is sooo much easier to manage Categories from a computer (aka The Web App)!
    • You might find this post about Categories interesting (click here).

Here's a partial list of 'system categories'. Personally, I only use a couple of them although it might be good to at least be aware that you won't find them in your Category List.:

• Transaction Related:
      • Balance Adjustment
      • Credit Card Payment
      • Transfer
      • Uncategorized
    • Investing Related:
      • Investing Action
        • Buy
        • Sell
        • Stock Dividend
      • Reinvest
        • Reinvest Dividend