Credit Card Bill Tracking

cw12
cw12 Member
edited April 2023 in Bills and Income

I love the experience with Simplifi very much, but the issues with not being able to connect with all Credit Card Billers (specifically Capital One and Chase) is the only reason I am hesitant to continue after my free trial. It's been indicated that there are problems with the way those billers / third party Bill Connect service, but [removed] is able to track this very well (the main thing I like about [removed] better than Simplifi). I am not sure why an extra connection to the biller is needed, because the account is already connected, and all that would be helpful to see would be the statement balance and the due date, which should definitely be doable from the same connection that is used for transactions. Just my two cents, and I hope this can be figured out because I do love the rest of Simplifi, but this CC bill tracking is important to me

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @cw12,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Community!

Unfortunately, there's nothing further that can be done from our end regarding the Bill Connect connections for Chase and Capital One. Although you can connect to some financial institutions for Biller purposes using Bill Connect, this is an entirely different service from connecting to your bank to download transactions and balances. A different Service Provider is also used for each of the services.

For Chase specifically, it is my understanding that they chose to discontinue their Bill Pay service, which prevented users from being able to connect to them as a Biller or to use Bill Pay in both Simplifi and Quicken. And Capital One has had issues from our Biller Service Provider's side for quite some time now.

Sorry for not having a better answer for you, but I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Hi @cw12

I can't speak to why you cannot seem to make the bill connect conncetion but I can share my own practices for what it might be worth.

• Personally I don't have any of my active credit cards connected to the bill pay function. My reason for this is that I don't carry a balance on any of my CCs paying off the balance each billing cycle and the charges on my credit cards are already accounted for in my Spending Plan as each charge is categorized and assigned to the appropriate part of my Spending plan. The CC payment is therefore not a bill that affects my actual spending, but a transfer of funds between cash and credit accounts to cover the charges.
    • Credit card paymenets by default are handled as transfers in Simplifi and thus excluded from the Spending plan. If you carry a balance you would need to set up the CC as a Loan account then you could set up a recurring bill for the monthly payment and it will be included in your Spending plan. In this case you would have your due date and amount of payment already set and wouldn't need the bill connect feature updating your payment amount and due date unless you wanted to only pay the minmum due each month and not a set amount.
    • Simplifi has never had a "Bill pay" function, only bill connect which, if it was allowed by the biller, would update your Simplifi bill when the biller closed out a billing cycle.
    • For most of my bills and supscriptions bill connect is completly unnecessary since my monthly payments are set amounts. The only billers this is handy for are my natural gas and water services since thoses bills actually will very from month to month (we have solar so our electirc bill is also a static amount month to mon

I don't really see Bill Connect as that useful so I don't really miss it if a biller doesn't allow it.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.