Why can’t I see investment income reported with regular income ?

Options
Anthony Dee
Anthony Dee Member
edited May 2023 in Investments

Why are investment transactions ignored from income reports ?

I'd like to see dividend , cap gain etc. transactions in a report with my pension and social security income. is there a way to do that ?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Anthony Dee,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

At this time, the only types of Investment Transactions that can be included in Reports are "cash flow" types, such as 'Payment/Deposit', 'Miscellaneous Expense', 'Income Miscellaneous', etc. These Investment Transaction types cannot be included in the Spending Plan or Watchlists at this time, and no other types will or can be included in Reports. This is outlined in our Support Article here.

Although our Product Team is working on adding these abilities to Investment Transactions, in addition to being able to import and export Investment Transactions, there is currently no ETA on when we can expect to see this implemented in Simplifi.

Sorry for not having better news, but I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Anthony Dee

The first place to check is Dashboard > Settings > Accounts > Click the three dots beside the account that's hidden.

Make sure this setting is set to an eyeball with no line through it…

If that doesn't work, then one of the coaches will have to assist.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Anthony Dee
    Anthony Dee Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

All my accounts were entered manually so my options appear different in account settings as shown below.

All my accounts are set this way and I can report on bank accounts fine but investment accounts will not show

In reports. If i click on "Hide from reports" then the accounts will be blocked from reporting. Why are investment transactions not included ?

• Anthony Dee
    Options

When I attempt to enter investment transactions like a dividend , "Ignore From Spending"

And "Ignore from reports" boxes are automatically checked and I can't uncheck them. in the account settings , these accounts are not set to "Ignore from Reports". Does anyone know how I can uncheck these boxes ? See attached. Notice lower left the Visibility area.

Thanks

• Anthony Dee
    Anthony Dee Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

I notice only miscellaneous expense and income transactions free up the "Ignore " boxes.

All other investment transactions are automatically set to "Ignore" and can't be unchecked.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Simplifi is not an investment app, and although it can show us the balance and some degree of activity in our investments, it's not designed to be an in-depth investment app.

Investment transactions are ignored from income reports - and the Spending Plan - because they are not income or spending, which is what Simplifi is helping us get a handle on. If you trade shares you income hasn't changed at all. Your net worth has. If you sell or buy shares, those transactions will show up in the relevant areas, though they may still be marked as "Ignored" in the Spending Plan and Reports because they are technically transfers of money, not new money injected into your budget. However, in these cases you will be able to uncheck the ignore boxes if you wish. Do so at your peril, though, because Simplifi will then report that these buys/sells directly impact your ability to spend for the current month.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Anthony Dee
    Options

I agree on the buy and sell transactions. But what about dividends and capital gains ?

Aren't they considered income ?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.