Automatically refresh the Web App in real time (edited)

Options
PSTheOtherOne
PSTheOtherOne Member
edited May 2023 in Feature Requests

In the online portal, the current date is not being updated in real time. instead it is saved as it was when the page is first loaded. even a few days later. The only way for it to get updated is to hard refresh the page.

This causes problems for example when creating a transaction manually the date is auto filled for the wrong day, as well as in reports the default filter for 'This Month' might still be looking at an older month if the page hasn't been hard refreshed or completely closed and reopened since the month was changed.

2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @PSTheOtherOne,

Thank you for posting to the Community regarding this issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties with the Simplifi Web App.

To clarify, do you constantly leave the Simplifi Web App open on your computer and signed in? If so, this is most likely the problem, as I'm not sure that web pages will automatically refresh, and will instead become stagnant until a manual refresh is performed. Have you tried clicking the 'Refresh' option in the left-hand bar in Simplifi to see if that makes a difference? You can also sign out of Simplifi when you're done using it, and then sign back in when you need to use it again so everything is refreshed.

The only other thing I can think of is setting something in your browser so web pages automatically refresh. I found a YouTube video for Chrome that may help your situation:

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• PSTheOtherOne
    PSTheOtherOne Member
    Options

Refreshing the page would work. but since I leave my computer on and don't refresh it manually every time I sit down to it I'd expect the site to be able to handle this. here are some ideas if you want to pass it on for dev. otherwise thank you very much for your assistance.

• Implement JavaScript/AJAX refresh to periodically update the date on the page without a full page reload.
    • Ensure the server-side code responsible for serving the date is updated in real time and not relying on cached values.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

… or, simpler, on the client side javascript, if the date has changed, force a refresh.

Detect Date Change: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5294066/chrome-extension-detecting-new-day-day-changed-in-javascript

Inside of the above alarm, forcing refresh: https://www.tutorialspoint.com/javascript/javascript_page_refresh.htm

Rob Wilkens

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

I'll have to check but it seems to me if I leave Simplifi open when I walk away and I end up getting busy doing things when I come back I have automatically been logged out of Simplifi. Does Simplifi allow you to stay logged in and inactive for days at a time?

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hello @PSTheOtherOne,

I went ahead and turned this into an Idea post requesting that the Web App automatically refresh in real time. I'm not sure if this is something that can or would be implemented, but an Idea post would be the best way to start. In the meantime, you may consider not staying signed into Simplifi, which I think is what most users do and why we haven't received reports of others running into this problem. Or you can look into something like the auto-refresh for Chrome feature. 🙂

P.S. @DannyB, you can stay signed into the Web App by checking this little box before signing in:

I hope this helps!

-Coach Nataie

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ah, look at that an option to stay signed in! Ya know, I've never been comfortable with the option to stay signed in on any sited I frequent or have businesses I have accounts with. I also never select to have my username remembered on sites that offer that. It's just not that inconvenient to enter that info and I feel more secure whether or not in actuality I am.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • PSTheOtherOne
    PSTheOtherOne Member
    Options

Thank you @Coach Natalie for the update.

I have confirmed that a simple browser refresh does update the date and it doesn't require a hard refresh as initially thought. I appreciate the response.