Have recurring transactions show up in planned spending (edited)

Options
GirlFriday715
GirlFriday715 Member
edited March 4 in Feature Requests

I just realized that the recurring transactions that I've been adding to my accounts do not show up in planned spending. I budget for $125 for Charity per month and I've had 3 cleared transactions already for $120. But in the spending plan/planned spending, I still show that I have $125 left to spend. I found out that because I set this transaction as recurring, it won't show in my budget for planned spending. I can see it in upcoming bills list, but not when looking at budget as a whole to see what I have left in each category. I think you should be able to see both sides of that category, not just one or the other.

12 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @GirlFriday715

As far as the Spending Plan goes your monthly expenses are accounted for either as recurring in “Income after bills and savings” or in “Planned Spending.” If you want to track your total giving you will need to set up a Watchlist that includes your charitable giving category.

http://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3472367-using-watchlists

You can search “watchlist” on the support page for more articles on using Watchlists.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited February 15
    Options

Hello @GirlFriday715,

Thanks for posting your request to the Community!

I'm not sure that this Idea post will gain much traction with our Product Team since it will result in transactions being double-counted in the Spending Plan. I think what @DannyB suggested as far as using some of Simplifi's other tools to track spending in certain Categories would be a better solution. Watchlists would be great for this, and you can also use the Spending Report.

If you'd truly like Recurring Transactions to also be counted toward Planned Spending and be counted twice against your spending in the Spending Plan, we can totally keep this Idea post alive.

Please let us know how you'd like to proceed!

-Coach Natalie

• GirlFriday715
    GirlFriday715 Member
    Options

I find your tunnel vision very disheartening. Maybe your site should provide a demo on the various features when trying to accomplish watching your spending. Basically, your site isn't creating a budget for me. If I create watch lists, it doesn't factor into how much money I make vs what I spend. But then you go to your spending plan and I add my bills (recurring) but I can't also see planned spending because your view of how this should work is very limited. I shouldn't have to choose one or the other. As I'm learning more about budgeting, maybe this isn't the application for me.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

I think you have to understand (with this software) there are two types of planned spending:

(1) recurring bills

(2) non-recurring things that you expect to spend money on (like groceries).

The latter is what they mean by planned spending. It holds the money aside in spending plan separately so you know not to spend that money on anything else.

Rob Wilkens

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi again, @GirlFriday715

OK, obviously this is a rather long entry. If you take the time to read it I hope it helps clarify and answer some of your concern.

First, I would say Simplifi has "focused vision" rather than "tunnel vision" and with some thought I beleive you will find that the Simplifi Spending Plan does exactly what you are asking for - Simplifi gives the user a way to "factor into how much money I make vs what I spend." This begins by seeing the Spending Plan as a whole and leaning the nomenclature of the Simplifi Spending Plan.

In either the web version or the mobile version, I can click on the Spending Plan either from the left hand menu (Web) or dropdown menu (Mobile) or by clicking on the Spending Plan card on the Dashboard in either.

Once open to the Spending Plan the user is presented with a summary of all income and all expenses the user has included in Simplifi (which I try to make sure includes all my true expenses not only for the current month but also for those non-monthly expenses and setting aside funds for "surprises" like repairs, replacements, and unplanned for events like accidents, etc.)

Inclusion of income is pretty straight forward right at the top of the Spending Plan in the "Income after bills & saving" section. You can add all anticipated recurring income and even add one time income events for a given month. Once added, Simplifi will track this for me from month to month.

In this same section the user will include those expenses that recur month in and month out - utility bills, mortgage or rent payments, recurring services, insurance premiums, phone, ISP, cable TV, streaming services, etc. These are all known monthly recurring "fixed" expenses that the user knows they will be billed for. Simplifi will even work to find these recurring expenses by analyzing the users bank and credit card accounts. Simplifi provides two ways to list these recurring expenses - bills and subscriptions - but the user will have to decide whether a given recurring billed expense is one or the other and different individuals will make different decisions on where to place a given recurring billed expense.

There is one more piece to this first section - Savings. If the user has anything they are saving for this is included here. It's Simplifi's way to help you "pay yourself first" so to speak. It's also currently the only way to set aside money in your monthly budget for anticipated annual/semi-annual expenses and spending.

Once all income, monthly fixed spending (expenses you are billed for), and any savings are entered into this first section, Simplifi does the math and gives you the amount of income that remains for the next two sections in the Spending Plan: "Planned spending" and "Other spending"

Here is where @RobWilk 's comment comes into play. All your expenses listed and accounted for in "Income after bills & savings" are planned expenses, right? So why can't one include them in "Planned spending"? I think this is where the confusion happens. In Simplifi the "Planned spending" section is where you account for those expenses you are NOT billed for but you have to plan for. Simplifi gives you a focused view of how much you have available after covering your bills and savings contributions (Income after bills &saving") to spend on such things as groceries, gas for the car(s), going out to eat, personal care, clothes, etc. All that stuff you spend money on but you don't receive a recurring bill for it.

Expenses in the "Income after bills & savings" section have already been accounted for and deducted from your income and once you have set spending goals (or limits) for your more flexible expenses in the "Planned spending section" Simplifi does the math again and gives you a bottom line of what you have "available" after all recurring fixed and flexible planned expenses are account for.

Simplifi gives you one more section to help focus in on your monthly income and outflow - "Other spending." This is where Simplifi gives the user an accounting of spending that doesn't fall into the first two sections. I try to end the month with no "Other spending" since, in my mind, all my spending is already planned for either as a bill, subscription, saving contribution or in one of my Planned spending categories, but it's about 50/50 on whether I end a given month with something in "Other spending" or not.

Simplifi takes all this information and gives the user a very tidy bottom line figure and at a glance the user can see exactly what is available, or not, after all income and expenses are accounted for in the Spending Plan. Then as the month unfolds and the user actually receives income and pays expenses the user can keep track of that bottom line from day to day, making necessary adjustments to keep that bottom line green, or zero if working toward a "zero based" budget.

If you made it this far I hope this helped. Whether Simplifi works for you is something you have to decide, and like any app, Simplifi has it's quirks, but overall, IMHO it's a great budgeting app.

Danny
  • thaJack
    thaJack Member ✭✭
    Options

If an item that would otherwise be in Planned Spending is instead a Bill or Subscription, it would be nice to have it listed in the Planned Spending transaction list, grayed out, with a tip indicating that it is excluded because it is covered by a Bill or Subscription.

This might help alleviate some confusion when a transaction appears to be missing from Planned Spending.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That would count it twice in spending plan totals.

Rob Wilkens

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you give an example or a scenario how this would be used?

Danny
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4
    Options

This request sounds like the one below. There is an example of someone wanting to show the charity donation in planned spending and dimmed in bills, which shows the same transactions in two places.

[removed link to merged thread]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• thaJack
    thaJack Member ✭✭
    Options

It shouldn't count in Planned Spending if it's already a Bill. It should be grayed out, just like transactions that are excluded from Planned Spending, but would be there if they weren't excluded. Same thing here… they would be there if they weren't a bill/subscription, so they should be grayed since they aren't counted.

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can see them under Bills / Subscriptions in the "Income after bills & savings" part of Spending Plan. I agree that it might be more intuitive to somehow show those in the Planned spending section instead, and keep the first section just for Income and Savings.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There’s nothing intuitive about double counting or double showing a single expense in two places. Fixed expenses and flexible expenses are not inclusive. If you want to capture or track, let’s say your utility bills, under one heading, Q-Simplifi provides for this through Watchlists. With Watchlists you can group various categories for monitoring purposes. The Spending Plan is meant for planning proactively how your intend to spend your monthly income.

Danny
  • Jerrod
    Jerrod Member
    Options

If you already have it in your monthly bills, why do you need to see it in another place? If you want to keep track of a particular category, you can just do that in reports with graphs and a list of transactions. You could do that in watchlist, but I honestly haven't found them very useful.

I see the bills/subscription/savings section of the spending plan as those specific items I know I am spending a specific amount of money on. The planned spending section is for those general categories that I know I'll spend money on but the specific amount is somewhat fungible.

• shameed
    shameed Member
    Options

I just learned that the recurring transactions do not show up in Planned Spending if they are captured in Bills. How could Bills not part of planned spending? I want to see everything in planned spending that I intend to spend this month. Particularly now that rollover is supported (in early access mode - enable it in Settings), I want to distribute my annual expenses (like property taxes) and 6-monthly expenses (such as car insurance) into monthly expenses and rollover every month until it is time to actually pay the amount. This way I get the real view of avg monthly expense all the time, instead of a surprise expense once a year.

The only purpose Bills should serve is a reminder that this bill is coming up and that the bills hasn't been paid and is overdue. They are two independent things. Not sure why an expense has to be exclusively put in one bucket (Bills) or the other (planned spending).

I think Simplifi should seperate them out and let the user track the expense independently between Bills and Planned Spending, allowing one transaction to show up in both.

• shameed
    shameed Member
    Options

I really loved Bills feature in that it tells me when a bills is coming up and whether I have paid it off or it is past due. But I value more to the information that monthly planned spending gives me. At any point in time, I can tell in this category I anticipated that much expense, and I have spent so much and I have this much remaining. With rollover feature in planned spending, the view could have become even more accurate. But not counting Bills in this view is really killing the value of rollover feature. And I can tell if I am overspending in any of the categories just by going through Planned Spendnig if it included bills.

How do you answer a very simple question that any good budgetting app should be able to answer? How much is my avg monthly expense? This includes the non-monthly expenses (annual or bi-annual or any other frequency) distributed monthly. This way I know if I am making enough money every month and what my savings are going to be.

And if your answer is go look at the graphs, then that's not acceptable for two reasons. First the graph won't show you monthly avg'd out expense. The graph shows you one year back expenses. What if I just started. Why can't I still know what my monthly expenses are just by defining various categories in Planned Spending with rollover feature and then tracking them month over month. I don't have to wait for one whole year, and then look at my total spending.