Fixed and Flexi is a BUST - Back to more "traditional" expense sorting and tracking

Options
DannyB
DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2023 in How do you Simplifi?

So, after setting up and working with my new expense structure I have come to the conclusion that it is too unwieldy and just a bit impractical. I knew I would have to train my brain to think in such a way that I could quickly/reflexively categorize expenses but using my fixed/flexible; discretionary/non-discretionary; monthly/non-monthly categorization schema turned out to be more hassle than it's worth.

By that I mean that I had to break down almost every expense into a separate sub-category under one of my top categories ending up with way too many sub-categories and it made my reports less useful. It turns out I don't want that much complexity nor is that much complexity necessary - elegance is the name of the game.

As a result I have returned to my original Spending Plan category design:

• Housing: Only 3 sub-categories since "Utilities" captures 4 expenses in one. If I need more detail on a particular utility expense I can get at that in reports using payee name or tags.
  • Charity: No sub-categories here.
  • Food & Household: 2 sub-categories here, eating out and groceries & household since I don't sort these last 2 expenses.
  • Auto & Transportation: 5 sub-categories 3 of which are also a saving goals.
  • Quality of Life: 6 categories 1 of which is a saving goal
  • Miscellaneous: 2 sub-categories
  • Health: 2 sub-categories

Anyone that may read this may also remember my ruminations on changes and transitions. This is one of those instances where I just didn't want to go through the transition my justification being that I wouldn't end up with a better planning and tracking system. Learning new nomenclature just wasn't worth it and ended up being just too confusing.

At any rate, it's fun to experiment.

Danny
Simplifi user since 01/22
Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @DannyB for following up on the results of your test. Your ruminations helps the rest of us know what to try and what not to.

Guess this one had a 66.66666666% frustration rate 😂 - to reference another post.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.