Categories Search feature works poorly on Windows PC - search should be case insensitive

Options
SeattleGuy
SeattleGuy Member ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Report a Bug

In Settings, Categories & Tags, there is a "Search Category" text box you can type into. The search feature usually does not find much if anything.

The problem appears to be that it is doing a case sensitive search. For example, if you search for "auto" then it can find "auto" but not "Auto".

The Internet standard for search in most common apps (like web browsers) is to do case insensitive searches. For example, on Windows 11 in both Edge and Chrome, if you do a control-F and search for "foo" on the page it will find both "foo" and "Foo". The search box should follow this convention. (Control-F in a browser cannot be used instead of a Category Search feature because typically most of the categories are scrolled off the page where the browser search cannot find them. So we have to use the Category Search text box, and we need it to work correctly.)

Doing the search as case sensitive is counterintuitive. I played with it for quite a while before I figured out why it seemed not to work at all. For example, it would never find any top level category (because they all start with upper case letters). Often when I create a new category or subcategory, I don't pay much attention to case. So when I'm searching, it's inconvenient to have to try the search multiple times to test both upper case and lower case combinations.

My environment is Windows 11/Chrome (both up to date).

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @SeattleGuy,

Thank you for reporting this issue to the Community, although I apologize that you're experiencing this behavior when searching Categories on the Simplifi Web App.

It looks like this issue has already been identified and a fix can be expected with the 3.76.0 Web Release. Please be sure to let us know if you continue to see an issue after that time.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• SeattleGuy
    SeattleGuy Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Coach Natalie and glad to hear that this will be fixed in the 3.76 web release. Some questions:

1. Based on the Updates From the Product Team posts it appears that web version 3.75.2 has already released. Is there a timeframe for the 3.76 web release?
    2. Is there a place in the web UI where we can see the current version? I couldn't find it in settings anywhere.

Just for context - I only use the web console. I have not installed the phone app and don't plan to.

Thanks.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Re: #2 on the dashboard on the web app, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and you'll find the version near the copyright message.

Rob Wilkens

• SeattleGuy
    SeattleGuy Member ✭✭
    Options

@RobWilk I see the version now, thanks for the tip.

This discussion has been closed.