Hybrid Bank/Investing Account Type

Options
cdorsi
cdorsi Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Feature Requests

I'd really like an account type that would track debit card transactions under my normal monthly budget, allow me to designate all or a portion of the balance for a goal, and track investment performance all for a single account. I have 2 accounts that I've tried alternatingly as both savings and brokerage, and neither are quite right. 1 account is my HSA: I have some long term investments that I want to monitor performance on, but I also have a cash portion that I use to pay out of pocket expenses with a debit card and want to show up in my monthly spending report. The other account is a brokerage account which has mostly long term investments that I want to track performance on, but also has a cash portion that I contribute to monthly to save for large annual expenses (home insurance, property tax, etc.), which I'd like to track as contributing to a goal so that I can easily see if I'm on track to save enough for these bills and also spread the spending out over the whole year to help me with my monthly budgeting. To make this work smoothly, it might help to be able to select certain funds/holdings/positions as being "cash" and treated like a bank account and any other funds/stocks/holdings/positions as investments. Though, it's not unreasonable to allow designation of non-cash holdings in an HSA or brokerage account as contributing towards a goal; it probably won't be common, but I could see some funds being used for medium term goals, so that's really more a question of whether it's easier to program any investment holding as being available for goals or only designated cash ones.

1 votes

Active · Last Updated