PayPal Mastercard: Transactions cleared when matched instead of when cleared

Options
RobWilk
RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Report a Bug

The discussion title sums it up.

I have a new (to me) paypal mastercard, it syncs to Simplifi… When a bank transaction (pending, in this case) matches to a transaction in Simplifi it is automatically marked as cleared…

Because of the way Simplifi works, this is a little problem with balances — A transaction is cleared early such that it is no longer applied on top of the bank balance, but the bank balance doesn't factor in pending transactions.

I get that online banking issues get different priority (because only a subset of users are affected), but i wanted to report this.

Rob Wilkens

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @RobWilk,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community regarding this behavior, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing an issue with your PayPal credit card transactions in Simplifi.

To clarify, are you referring to a manually entered transaction being matched to a bank downloaded transaction? Or is something being matched/linked with a Reminder or something along those lines? If the former, have you tried not manually entering a pending transaction in this account in Simplifi to see how the transaction downloads from the bank (pending vs. cleared) without being matched to an existing entry? If not, let's give this a try with at least one transaction to see if we can narrow down the behavior.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Manually entered transactions are matched to bank transactions and 'cleared' when they shouldn't be.
    I'll have to wait until my next purchase on that card to see, presuming I remember not to enter a transaction manually.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can see the paypal account is going to require manual handling to some extent.

Payments (at least sometimes) are credited in a negative way (debited from balance), this ALSO results in them not matching manual entries (which have positive credits, hence different amounts)- - meaning i have to manually clear the credits and delete the debited payments.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Okay

It is the same when it doesn't match a transaction, this transaction was a few hours ago and is showing as cleared, when it won't be clear for 2 days or so.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The above example was invalid. I believe my paypal mastercard was linked to my paypal account.

It appears this may still be a problem though, with respect to transactions being cleared before they are clear.

I need to wait for my next purchase to be sure.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Confirmed… Transactions still downloading as 'cleared' even when not matching…

Here:

This was purchased in the last hour and was downloaded as 'cleared. It's not cleared.

On another note, I may have to file a separate bug to note that I can't find the "cleared" display/setting on the edit transaction activity on the mobile app.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello @RobWilk,

Thanks for confirming the issue!

I can go ahead and get this escalated as an online banking issue, however, I need the following information to do so:

1. A screenshot of the same example transaction displayed as "pending" on the bank's website.
    2. The current balance displayed for the account in Simplifi.
    3. The current balance displayed for the account on the bank's website.
    4. A screenshot of the Accounts Summary page on the bank's website that list all accounts and balances and has a wide enough scope to show the page URL.

Thanks in advance!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

All sent via direct message

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello @RobWilk,

Thank you for providing the requested information!

I got a ticket submitted for this issue and will be sure to post back as soon as an update is received. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

EWC-10305272

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello @RobWilk,

We've heard back from our Service Provider and they think a fix has been implemented for this issue. Please give this another try and let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, I'll have to make a purchase to test it, will try to remember to get back to this to let you know.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This appears to be working right now. The matched transaction from earlier today is still pending, as it should be.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Options

That's great, @RobWilk!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is not only great, it's probably the quickest total time to fix a problem I've witnessed here :-) — Thanks for being a part of getting this done. Very grateful.

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.