Loan Transactions Causing Issues with Spending Plan (edited)

mellis87
mellis87 Member
edited June 2023 in Report a Bug

The recent updates to the Spending Plan are causing issues with how expenses and left over cash flow are calculated.

Right now ignored transactions are appearing in the Spending Plan, which I understand is now by design, however these transactions are being calculated into the monthly finances. For example, I'm seeing transactions of deposits into my investment accounts that are being treated as regular income, which is not the case. This is leaving left over income for the month as being erroneously higher than it really is.

Tagged:

Comments

• mblank78
    mblank78 Member ✭✭

I am seeing the same thing, the spending plan is a hot mess right now. It is showing deposits for retirements accounts, deductions for loan accounts, HSA transactions, etc.. I believe there was a post about those showing up but being ignored in calculations but that does not appear to be the case. When I run a report and filter on just my spending accounts, exclude all investment, HSA, retirement, etc..The balance is waaaayyy off from what the spending plan is calculating.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @mellis87 & @mblank78,

Thank you for taking the time to report these issues to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're both experiencing this behavior in the Spending Plan.

Aside from Investment Transactions showing in the Spending Plan, I'm not personally seeing any issues. I have an ignored transaction in Other Spending (these do show now, but are not calculated, as mentioned above), as well as an Investment Transaction showing that shouldn't be there, but my Other Spending total is $0 as expected. I calculated all of the numbers in my Spending Plan for this month and every total seems to be correct.

With that said, we do have an Alert for the Investment Transactions issue, and it will be fixed with the next release:

I believe we may have received another report of issues with loan transactions, however, I don't have a connected loan account to test this with to see what's going on. What was the behavior prior compared to what you're seeing now? Is the loan account connected or manual? Are the loan payments set up as a Recurring Series? For the HSA transactions, is this an Investment account? If so, the transactions are most likely showing due to the above-Alert.

Please provide more details as to what specifically you're seeing for each item in question, where you're seeing it, evidence that ignored transactions and/or Investment Transactions are causing miscalculations, etc.

The more information you can provide will allow the Community to best assist.

-Coach Natalie

• mblank78
    mblank78 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023

Hello, Loan accounts never showed up in the spending plan previously. When I go into spending plan I see loan account transactions that show as uncategorized. This is both deductions and deposits for connected accounts. Loan payments are setup as recurring. When I go into the bank account for where recurring loan payment is to be deducted I see it there with correct category and deducting from the correct account. The same shows up in spending plan for the connected loan account uncategorized. Hope that makes sense, kind of hard to explain without showing. HSA is basically an investment account for healthcare cost so yes that may be related to the other investment issue.

For example, I have a connected auto loan account, payment is around $360 a month. I have that setup as a recurring transaction to be deducted from a checking account. That all looks ok, transaction deducted from checking account and categorized correctly. In spending plan that recurring loan payment is listed under Bills and all looks good. When I click on other spending I see that loan account listed and see a deposit into that account of +$360. When I try to ignore from spending plan and ignore from reports as I don't want to see a deposit of +$360 as it was not deposited into my bank accounts it was deposited toward a loan. It is not income but looks that way in spending plan. When trying to modify I get the attached error.

Interestingly when I go look at that loan accounts under the main accounts listing on the left side of the screen it says that "You may view your balances for Loan Accounts, but loan transactions are not currently supported." However I am seeing the loan transactions in my spending plan.

• dgalt
    dgalt Member ✭✭

I am seeing the same behavior as @mblank78 for my auto loan in the spending plan - i.e. payments are showing up as essentially a positive amount contributing that can't be ignored because of the same message about the account not supporting modifying transactions.

• ChesterKatz
    ChesterKatz Member
    edited June 2023

I'm having the same issue related to my mortgage payments. They're showing up as an uneditable, uncategorized positive amount in my spending plan, so my "available" funds are way off.

• Coach Natalie

Hello @mblank78, @dgalt, & @ChesterKatz,

Thank you all for posting on this topic, although I apologize for the issues!

It looks like transactions from connected loan accounts showing in the Spending Plan has been reported. We went ahead and created an Alert that can be followed for updates:

However, we are not aware of any issues with these transactions actually being calculated in the Spending Plan. Can someone provide proof that there is a calculation error present due to these transactions with screenshots, please?

-Coach Natalie

• mblank78
    mblank78 Member ✭✭

Hello, Yes they do affect balance left at the end of the month as we all as other spending where they are listed. I just deleted the +$360 loan deposit that was deposited to the loan account and my spending plan balance changed by -$360. Basically it looks like I just lost $360 because I deleted a +$360 dollar deposit into the loan account. Hope this helps. Thanks for posting the alert to follow this topic.

• ChesterKatz
    ChesterKatz Member

Can someone provide proof that there is a calculation error present due to these transactions with screenshots, please?

@Coach Natalie , I've submitted a screenshot to you in a private message.

• Coach Natalie
    edited June 2023

Thank you, @ChesterKatz!

The screenshot outlines the issue perfectly. I did want to confirm one thing — does the Other Spending total that's displayed in the upper right of your screenshot match the total displayed for Other Spending on the left side of the Spending Plan where all totals are listed?

Also, have you tried deleting the positive loan transaction from Other Spending directly as mentioned by @mblank78 to see if it fixes the calculation issue?

-Coach Natalie

• ChesterKatz
    ChesterKatz Member

does the Other Spending total that's displayed in the upper right of your screenshot match the total displayed for Other Spending on the left side of the Spending Plan where all totals are listed?

Yes. My calculated "available" amount on the left is also off by the amount of my loan payment. I wish I really had that much available to spend!

Also, have you tried deleting the positive loan transaction from Other Spending directly as mentioned by @mblank78 to see if it fixes the calculation issue?

Okay, looks like deleting it does work (editing does not). Do you know if deleting that impacts my loan balances displayed elsewhere, or impacts anything else?

• Coach Natalie

Thanks, @ChesterKatz!

I'm not sure if deleting the transaction would mess with the balance of the loan account; this was just a "testing" step, and I'm trying to learn if it's a viable suggestion to offer to users while the issue at hand is being worked on. I wouldn't think so, considering Simplifi is always designed to stay in line with the balance being reported by the bank for connected accounts.

Can you check your mortgage account balance in Simplifi and compare it to the balance on the bank's website to see if deleting the transaction from Other Spending caused a balance discrepancy, please?

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.