Deleting old transaction?

Options
DavidB
DavidB Member ✭✭
edited July 2023 in Getting Started

I'm new to Simplifi. I entered my accounts, and Simplifi brought in many old transactions that I don't care about. I am only interested in transactions from June 1 onwards. Is there a way to bulk-delete everything before June 1? Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea? I don't have the time to categorize them all properly, and I don't need them anyway.

I am aware that I can run reports for a selected period, and maybe this is the best way to deal with it??? All advice is welcome.

David

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Welcome @DavidB !

To answer your first question, yes, there is a way to bulk delete transactions on the Web App (i.e. on a computer). When you are looking at your transaction/account register (the one with all the individual transactions), filter for transactions before July 1, 2023 by typing the highlighted text in your search bar. Currently, there is no built in filter for dates.

Then, you can Select All by clicking this button…

Once that's done, click the pencil icon…

There you'll find a "Delete Transactions" button.

To answer your second question, not really that I can think of. As it's currently designed, Simplifi's Spending Plan is all about the current month. It doesn't rely on old transactions, etc. With that in mind, there are really just two considerations.

1. How far back does the OCD part of you want your records to go. Yes it's nice to have a history, but there is also something very freeing about a fresh clean start!
    2. I'd recommend keeping both sides of transfers even if one side is in June 2023 and the other is before June 1st…especially if they are CC Payments.

Hopefully someone else will come along with good insight.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

I suspect that anyone who takes the time to learn and use financial apps to organize their finances has a bit of it! 🙄

I did the same exact thing with transferring from Quicken Desktop to Simplifi. I exported 7 years-worth of transactions into a simple Google Sheet when I made the switch and have repeatedly been happy with that decision. If I need it I can get at it, but I haven't missed having it in Simplifi. Also, there's no possible way I'm going to take the time to re-categorize 7 years of transactions!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.

Answers

• DavidB
    DavidB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Chris: That is a GREAT answer. Thank you. To respond to your two points:

Your #1: (what is "OCD"?) I'm actually transitioning from another product and will have exported all previous transactions from that product (2 years worth) to Google Sheets for purposes of my own historical analysis (I'm very good with pivot tables).

Your #2: Well, in truth our family budget runs July 1, 2023 - June 30, 2024 (my wife was a teacher), so having the June, 2023 transactions in Simplify will solve the issue you raised about having both sides of transactions - a very good point that I hadn't thought of; I just wanted June because we're getting our feet wet with the product this month.

David

• DavidB
    DavidB Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks.

David

This discussion has been closed.