Wells Fargo 2 Factor Authentication

Options
Wooday
Wooday Member

Every time I sign into the Simplifi app, I have to reconnect to my Wells Fargo account by a two factor authentication and on top of that, it won’t let me pick a different option instead of my wife’s phone number to get the access code. Anybody have any suggestions on how to fix that where I can link it once it stay that way?

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Wooday,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community regarding this issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this behavior with Wells Fargo in Simplifi.

To clarify, are you asked to reconnect your Wells Fargo account in Simplifi where you have to re-enter your sign-in credentials as well, or are you simply asked to perform MFA? If the latter, we have no control over the MFA requests generated in Simplifi, as these are made by the banks directly.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4704254-why-do-i-need-to-re-authenticate-my-bank-with-every-refresh

If this is the case, I'd suggest taking a look at your MFA requirements with Wells Fargo directly to see if they can potentially be lowered. You can also disable MFA with Wells Fargo entirely to resolve the issue in Simplifi if this is something you're comfortable doing. If you choose to keep MFA enabled, I'd also recommend checking with Wells Fargo directly to see what methods of MFA you have enabled, and to add your phone number if possible.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• pkp
    pkp Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

[removed] Second this post here. My Wells Fargo account also requests an MFA every single time it refreshes. I already have the MFA setting turned off in my account at Wells Fargo. Also, I use 4 different aggregators (testing a bunch out) and none of them have ever asked me to do MFA each time for Wells Fargo other than Simplifi, so this is a Simplifi-specific issue rather than a bank-specific issue. Perhaps this is another one of the institutions that need to use OAuth? I find it weird that this is happening at Wells Fargo (one of the largest banks in the country) and nobody has asked about this.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @pkp and @Wooday

I'm a Wells Fargo customer and I've never had any problems connecting here (except for the occasional burb that usually resolves within minutes). I've never been asked for MFA from Wells Fargo in Simplifi.

Is this recent or has WF been requiring this from the start?

I had an odd situation where one of my institutions connected just fine but at some point started requesting MFA. I mentioned it here in the forum as well as contacting my institution. No one seemed to know why this was going on… and then one day it stopped requesting MFA and it's been fine ever since.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @pkp,

If you've already disabled MFA with Wells Fargo but are still being prompted in Simplifi, I'd suggest re-establishing the connection with Wells Fargo to see if doing so clears things up. To re-establish the connection, you'll want to make your Wells Fargo accounts fully manual by following the steps here, and then go through the Add Account flow to reconnect to Wells Fargo, and carefully link the accounts found to your existing Simplifi accounts by following the steps here.

If the issue persists after doing so, I'd suggest contacting Wells Fargo directly to see why they're still requiring MFA to update your accounts in Simplifi even though you don't have MFA enabled, as the MFA requests are made by the banks.

Additionally, although there is no ETA to provide as of yet, we will be migrating to Wells Fargo's OAuth API in Simplifi. Hopefully the API will allow a better experience for all of our Wells Fargo users!

-Coach Natalie

• pkp
    pkp Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Redid the connection with Wells Fargo and am still getting MFA requests every single refresh. I can try and ask Wells Fargo, but as I mentioned, I highly doubt this is a Wells Fargo issue because every single other aggregator I use (4 and counting) doesn't have this problem except for Simplifi. So it really does seem like a Simplifi issue. I'm guessing WF is recognizing Simplifi as coming from a different device every time and needs the MFA because of this. There's no way to bypass this. Turning off MFA on the bank's side only turns off MFA for recognized devices.

It does seem weird that Danny isn't having this problem. My Wells Fargo accounts are relatively new and required the MFA from the start right when I added it on Simplifi, so I'm wondering if that has any effect.

• bradt81
    Options

Same here. Every time on a mobile device I can see the MFA options, but they are in the background and I am unable to select a different option than the default mode.

This has worked for me in the past, but over the last week or so it does not work. The MFA works fine on a desktop computer though.

• Coach Blake
    Coach Blake Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi @bradt81 !
    Thank you for taking the time to report the issues you are experiencing with the MFA prompt being in the background when trying to pick the MFA option on mobile. We are aware of this inconvenience and a fix will be in our next mobile release of 4.5.0.

Thank you,
    Coach Blake

This discussion has been closed.