Why does this transfer to a brokerage account show up twice?

Options
DavidB
DavidB Member ✭✭
edited July 2023 in Troubleshooting

I'm new to Simplifi.

When I transfer money from my checking account to my Vanguard money market account (a brokerage account) it displays twice on the Vanguard transaction screen. Why is that? And when I click on the first one (in green) it shows as Category "Chase Checking" but when I click on the other one it says Category "Uncategorized" - what is wrong with this?

When I look at my Chase checking transactions, I see the same thing, two transactions, one green and one not gree.

David

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @DavidB,

Thanks for posting to the Community regarding this issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this behavior in Simplifi.

Although what @Flopbot suggested would be true for regular transactions as Simplifi defaults to the "Banking" view, it would not be the case for Investment Transactions, as these are separated in Investments > Transactions. With that said, are you manually entering the transactions in question or are they downloaded from the bank? Also, are the transactions linked to a Recurring Reminder? If so, how do you have the Recurring Linked Transfer set up?

If you're manually entering these transactions, I'd suggest deleting what you're seeing and then starting over by following these steps:

1. Navigate to the Checking Account.
    2. Click the blue plus sign in the upper right to create a new transaction.
    3. Enter the Payee and Amount, and then select the Investment Account for the Category.
    4. Save the transaction and click "Continue" when you're prompted to create a matching transaction in the other account.
    5. At this point, you should see one expense (black) transaction in the Checking Account that has the Investment Account listed for the Category.
    6. Navigate to Investments > Transactions.
    7. Here, you should just see the income side of the Transfer, which is the green transaction.

I just followed these steps to create a Linked Transfer from my Checking to my Investment account, and I see just one transaction in each account, and each for the appropriate amounts (negative vs. positive). Everything worked as expected. 🙂

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DavidB ,

Full disclosure, I don’t use the investments side of Simplifi, yet. But, if it works similar to the regular Transactions button on desktop, then you’re looking at both sides of the transfer; assuming you have both accounts synced with Simplifi. Simplifi shows you ALL transactions in ALL accounts by default and you can narrow it down as needed. To see just the one side, you’d want to use the filter button that is to the right of the search field.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • DavidB
    DavidB Member ✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie They're being downloaded by Simplifi, but I don't think they're being correctly identified as linked. Maybe I should redefine the Vanguard account as a banking account because it's really a money market account and though I don't write checks on it, I move money between it and my checking account once or twice a month (the MM account earns almost 5%, the checking account earns nothing). Whaddyathink?

Or maybe it doesn't matter whether they are linked as long as (1) the balance is right, which it is, and (2) it doesn't show up in my spending plan.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @DavidB,

Thanks for posting back!

Of course, it's entirely up to you on which route to take, or even what different methods you want to try out. However, we can certainly try to get to the bottom of the situation as well. Have you tried just deleting the bogus transaction from each of the accounts? Green is for a positive amount and black is for a negative amount, so if you keep the green transaction in the Investment Account and the black transaction in the Checking Account, things should be correct. And then you can keep an eye on it from there to see if they continue to download this way. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.