Generate a warning when editing a Recurring Series if the next Reminder has been edited (edited)

Options
Flopbot
Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Feature Requests

Added: When changing the Amount or Date, etc. of a single Recurring Reminder instance, subsequently editing the associated Recurring Series will revert the changes. This request is for a prompt to be generated in this situation to let the user know that editing the Series will also revert the changes made to the Reminder. And/or to potentially allow the user to exclude that single Reminder instance when editing the Series.

Minor bug, but here are the steps to recreate in the Web App:

1. Edit the price and date for a future scheduled Spending Plan Bill.
  2. Edit the underlying Series End Date.
  3. Go back to your original future scheduled Spending Plan Bill and note that the price is the same but the date has reverted back to the original date.

This is easy enough to work around.

Chris
Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
New to Simplifi in 2021.
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's as designed. If you edit a series all instances reset dates and amounts.

Rob Wilkens

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

In this case it didn't reset the amounts, just the date. Seems like you wouldn't want already edited instances of a series to reset as a protection from users inadvertently adjusting something that they're already planning on. For example, if I told Simplifi that instead of my default $100 for my Electric Bill, it was actually $178.32 and coming out on July 6th instead of July 10th. Depending on how much is available in my bank account (usually fumes), having already edited instances of a series revert back to the default $100 on July 10th could cause my projected balance to be off - an overly rosy outlook. Unless I'm really paying attention and double-checking everything, I could easily overdraft. Granted, editing the series is something that you hopefully don't need to do too often.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I might agree with you, but i think we need an idea post if it doesn't already exist.

Manually Edited AND Deleted instances (which essentially are manually edited) need to not come back — how that happens i don't know. I'm okay with it prompting whether or not to replace those or not if there are manual edits.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hello @Flopbot,

Thanks for posting regarding this behavior!

Any edits that were made to an individual instance of a Recurring Reminder will be overwritten if the associated Recurring Series is edited, as the 'Next' instance will be saved with whatever details the Recurring Series is saved with. As @RobWilk mentioned, this is by design and was determined as such with similar bug reports (here and here and here, for example).

With that said, we can certainly turn this into an Idea post requesting that editing a Recurring Series doesn't change any edits that were made to the next upcoming Reminder for that Series. Or requesting that a prompt is generated when editing a Series if the next upcoming Reminder instance has been edited. You can also create a new Idea post if you have a good outline of what this would look like for you (or you can as well, @RobWilk).

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Yes @Coach Natalie . Please do turn this into an Idea Post. At minimum, some sort of warning is needed. Once I’ve changed something, it’s out of my mind.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.