How do you start over?

Options
Merlot10
Merlot10 Member
edited August 2023 in Troubleshooting

Hi there,

Is it possible to start over / fresh start / reconcile account balances that have not been updated since January?

If this functionality does not exist, any suggestions?

Thank you!

Best Answers

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Merlot10 ,

There's no fresh restart function per say in Simplifi. That said, since your individual account balances aren't reliant on each individual transaction listed in your individual account registers, there's no reason that I can think of why you couldn't just delete all the old transactions. For example, you could enter a transaction for $1M in your checking account register, change it from pending to cleared, and the real bank account balance in Simplifi will still match the bank balance showing $32.76.

I've gotta say though that I've never actually tried this so I'm not 100% sure that it won't do something unexpected. Maybe start with your smallest, least important account and see what happens. Or, wait for a second opinion in this community.

Step #1 - Open the Account you want to start over with and click "Select All" .

Step #2 - Click the pencil (Edit) icon.

Step #3 - Click Delete Transactions.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Merlot10

Another option is to contact support and they can help you out with a clean restart.

Simplifi is a planning and tracking app more than an accounting app and thus the limits to such things as a running balance column, reconcile function, ability to enter balance adjustments, etc. Quicken, on the other hand is definitely an accounting app with much if not all the features one would hope to have for a more through accounting of all things financial.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer

Answers

• Merlot10
    Merlot10 Member
    Options

Thank you Flopbot. I'm hoping there is a simple solution such as entering an adjustment transaction :) Fingers crossed!!

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Merlot10 ,

Since Simplifi doesn't have a "Running Balance" column like a lot of other Financial Software, there really isn't an adjustment transaction wouldn't really do much for the total short of letting you see what date you did your restart. Just remember that whatever Payee name you enter will be with you for the rest of time…and auto populated as an option when entering transactions.

Maybe you could enter a transaction something like this?

Hopefully, someone else comes along with helpful insight.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Merlot10
    Merlot10 Member
    Options

The missing running balance column is very frustrating for me.

Thank you for the suggestion.

• Merlot10
    Merlot10 Member
    Options

Thank you Danny

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Merlot10,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

If you'd like to have your Simplifi dataset deleted so you can completely start over in Simplifi, and have not reached out to our Support Team to request this yet, I can certainly take care of it for you. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• Merlot10
    Merlot10 Member
    Options

Hi Natalie,

I'm all set. I deleted the transactions and got things squared up.

Thank you,

Lynn

This discussion has been closed.