Delete the associated Tag when a Savings Goal is deleted (edited)

Options
pawebb
pawebb Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2023 in Feature Requests

Pretty much the title.

Every time I create a goal the tool creates a corresponding tag. When I delete a goal it does not delete the tag that was created. I created a goal for my wife's RN License and then deleted it to put the money back. I then created a new goal and named it the same "RN License". I noticed it created a new tag and added a 1 to the name.

I tried deleting the "RN License" tag (successfully) and modifying the "RN License 1" tag, but the system will not allow changes to the name. And I cannot delete the RN Lic 1 tag because it is in use by the goal.

6 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Our Product Team is currently reviewing this request!

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @pawebb,

Thanks for creating this post!

After some research, it looks like our Product Team is already reviewing the possibility of deleting the associated Tag when a Savings Goal is deleted. However, they may decide against this, as there is some concern regarding that Tag being used on past transactions.

At any rate, I went ahead and turned this into an Idea post so other users can add their votes and feedback and we can get a better idea of how many would like to see this change made in Simplifi. We'll be sure to update this post as soon as any news becomes available. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• pawebb
    pawebb Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, @Coach Natalie. I was thinking about that and thought it might screw something up down the line. If they decide to keep the tags I would suggest they modify the tool so that if a new goal of the same name is created it checks for an existing tag before creating a duplicate.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie , could you breifly explain the reasoning behind why Savings Goals automatically create Tags in the first place? What are they intended to be used for? Are they used by the system in the backend?

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@pawebb @Flopbot @Coach Natalie

Naturally I can't speak for Simplifi, but I wonder if it's meant to be a way for the user to associate transactions with a given Savings Goal?

I haven't paid much (OK none. zero, nada) attention to this automatically created tag so this is the first I've heard of it. It does explain where some of the tags came from in my tags list. When I went to Settings > Categories & Tags to check this out I discovered why I had a particular tag I didn't remember creating and thought it was some kind of typo thing. I did create a tag, "Vacation 2023" that I use for all our travel expenses this year (along with a tags specific to each trip). Recently I started noticing when I typed "vac" into the tag field "Vacation 2023" and "Vacation 2023 1" would pop up. I couldn't figure out where the "Vacation 2023 1" came from but now I believe I do. I had to delete and recreate my Vacation 2023 Savings Goal to get all my designated travel money in the right place and under the right SG. The "Vacation 2023 1" must be the auto generated tag from the recreation of the SG and the "1" was added since a "Vacation 2023" tag already existed… as @pawebb points out above.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hey All!

I'm honestly not sure why a Tag is created along with a Savings Goal, and it's not something that's promoted in our support articles or anything like that. If I were to guess, I'd have to agree with @DannyB that it's a way to associate a transaction with a Savings Goal. If we learn anything further on this, I'll be sure to let everyone know. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

WE HAVE A MYSTERY!!!!! . 🕵️‍♀️🕵️‍♂️

@Coach Natalie wrote,

However, they may decide against this, as there is some concern regarding that Tag being used on past transactions.

Another idea, in addition to @pawebb 's idea about looking for an existing tag, would be to incorporate a function into deleting a tag that will warn the user that there are transactions associated with the tag and give an option for how to retag those transactions. This function exists for categories already.

I wonder if the same thing could be done with tags?

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting, so I was adjusting some Savings Goals and noticed this on Mobile. For the Mobile App, when you got to Settings>Tags, it groups them by "Created by you" and "Used in Goals". When I deleted some goals, they got moved from "Used in Goals" to "Created by you". I didn't know that this is what would occur. On the Desktop App, the tags aren't sorted into groups yet.

I would like them to be deleted altogether and not just move them to a different group so I voted accordingly above.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.