"New Recurring Item Found" - I have no idea what this is about

Options
ajbopp
ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in Report a Bug

I found this at the top of my web app dashboard today. I would love to have an additional $850 dropped into my account twice a month, but I have no idea where this comes from. There is nothing in my spending plan, transaction history, or upcoming transactions that is $850 (either income or expense). I assume "Thank You" is meant to suggest where the money is coming from (or going to), but obviously there is no biller by that name.

Finally, there is no indication of what will happen if I click the check mark button as it seems to expect me to do (looks to be the default option). Will it add this to the spending plan? Starting on what date? Will it open up a new page or modal asking for more information, or does it think it already has enough information?

I strongly suspect the display of this message is a bug in some fashion - since this has nothing to do with my past or upcoming accounts, I'm left wondering if I'm somehow viewing information from another Simplifi user's account.

I am certain that the label of "Thank You" is a bug. If this was from an email, I'd suppose the message grabbed the "Subject:" field instead of the "From:" field.

I believe the UI of this inadequately designed, giving the user no indication at all about what will happen if a particular choice is selected.

Anthony Bopp
Simplifi User Since July 2022
Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

Tagged:

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ajbopp

Hi AJ, is this the first time you’ve ever seen this message or is it this particular message that is out of wack?

It’s been awhile since one of these messages popped up for me but the few times it has since my initial set up, I seem to remember it did have something to do with an actual transaction. I think I remember clicking on the check box and a recurring transaction setup modal to fill out like you would if you were manually adding a recurring transaction. But most of the few times this popped up I clicked on “X” since the transaction asked about was not a new recurring transaction.

But again, the times I did see this message it was related to an actual transaction in one of my accounts.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe I once had a Credit Card that flagged Credit Card Payments with the description "Thank You". Is that, perhaps, what is going on here that it's finding? i.e. recurring payments for $850 to a particular credit card?

I like the idea of detected automatic recurring payments, but i've never seen it happen.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This must be a new thing, I just got this in the app today.

This was for a payment to my Amazon (Synchrony) credit card, and the amount I pay it varies with usage. In this case, it should have matched to a manual Transfer with the description Amazon CC and it seems it didn't.

If you need to know, this was like 80% of a single charge for LegacyBox a video/film -to- digital transfer service. We already converted a bunch of VHS tapes, and this is a few more VHS tapes plus like 50 Super-8 8mm reels (the total cost will probably be an additional $250 or so for this purchase besides the $500-600 I paid already).

Rob Wilkens

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've looked through my transaction history for the past couple of months and I cannot find a single transaction for $850, so I'm confused about what it's "found."

Because this is an inflow transaction, and not an expense, I can only assume it's a credit card payment of some sort, but my CC payments always occur on the same date each month, and are always about twice the amount of $850.

Anthony Bopp

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @ajbopp,

Thanks for posting to the Community regarding this issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you experienced this behavior with the "we found a new recurring item" prompt.

I didn't see this in either of my Simplifi accounts this morning, and I'm wondering if it was some sort of glitch or something to do with the added functionality for Transfers. Since @RobWilk received this prompt as well and it appears to have come from a transaction, I'd suggest selecting the "X" to close out of the prompt and then keeping an eye on things moving forward to see if the issue pops up again. Hopefully it was just a one-off glitch. 🤞

As for this prompt not being clear on what each selection means, I'd suggest creating an Idea post asking that a tooltip or something along those lines be added to outline this. In the meantime, selecting the "X" will close it out, and selecting the checkmark will create a new Recurring Series, which can be modified or deleted, etc., just like any Recurring Series.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3625912-managing-recurring-transactions

Please let us know if that prompt pops back up!

-Coach Natalie

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I noticed this morning that, while I cleared this message yessterday from a web browser, it was still there this morning on the Android app and I had to clear it again.

Anthony Bopp

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ajbopp any chance it traces back to an investment account transaction?

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I doubt it. I see no investment transactions of that amount, and in my experience those kinds of transactions don't come with a "Thank you" note.

Anthony Bopp

This discussion has been closed.