Capital One transactions are downloading with the posted date (edited)

Options
dereckmezquita
dereckmezquita Member
edited September 2023 in Adding and Updating Accounts

I'm using a SavorOne card by Capital One. The dates being pulled into Simplifi are the date the transaction was posted, not the date the transaction was done.

I can see the correct date inside of my Capital One app as "Made on Friday, August 11, 2023" for example, but. The date that is being pulled into Simplifi is the date the transaction cleared. Not sure if this is the correct place to submit a bug; please let me know.

This is a big problem for me since a bunch of transactions get all thrown in on the same date, and it affects the chronology. I can't remember what is what when trying to organise.

[edited image to reduce size]

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe this is 'by design' and not specific to that card. Posted dates replace any dates you entered the transaction on on any account when they are matched. I had inquired about that in the past. If you'd like to try to get that changed, you could try an idea post where people would vote on the alterred behavior. I think I thought about doing that in the past, but could not find it on a search.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @dereckmezquita,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community regarding this issue, although I apologize for your experience with this behavior.

@RobWilk is correct that this is by design and is not specific to a financial institution; when transactions download into Simplifi, they will ultimately end up with the posted date versus the date the transaction took place. Because of this, I personally edit the dates of all of my transactions to the transaction date as soon as they download/clear in Simplifi. However, I know some users leave them with the posted date and it doesn't bother them.

I'm not sure if this is something that can be changed from our end, or if the banks are who provide the information this way (most likely the latter), but I did find an existing Idea post requesting that transactions be displayed by the transaction date instead of the posted date:

I'd suggest having both of you add your vote and feedback to the existing request, and then following it for any future updates. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi all,

this is purely a curiosity question: what is the benefit of keeping the "transaction date" instead of the "posted date"?

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@DannyB, I'm personally just a little OCD and want to track when I actually spent the money. I also want the amount included in the month I spent it, which requires extra attention around the beginning/end of each month. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Coach Natalie

My concern has always been about making sure the cash was in my cash account (usually checking) when a transaction posted and this has not been a real concern since, as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, we have been fortunate to have a 30 to 60 day cash buffer since the late ‘90s.

On the other hand, I guess my OCD tendencies aren’t triggered by what month an expense falls into so here again, I’m just fine with transaction date vs. posted date.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.