Track Automatic Savings - not as spending

Options
roz22
roz22 Unconfirmed, Member
edited October 2023 in Bills and Income

Is there a way to track money that is automatically going to various savings and investment accounts, separately? Not as a total part of "spending"?

So far I am only seeing the ability to hide certain transactions or include it as a reoccuring expense - but I would like to be able to easily see the amount of money that is actually being spent vs the money that is going to various savings/investment accounts. the only way I can see to do that, is to track it as if it is a spending category - but then my spending totals, include my savings and my spending together.

The "Savings goals" feature hasn't been useful for me. It would be more useful if the savings goal feature functioned more like the "re-occurring" bills.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but suggestions would be helpful!

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not sure if this matches what you're doing — but I have an automatic transfer from Checking to Savings on each payday (honestly, lately I've been doing it manually instead of automatically)…

I set up a RECURRING TRANSFER that is where the CATEGORY is a TRANSFER to the savings account.

If the category is a TRANSFER (or "linked transfer" they call it), it will not show up in the spending reports, however you'll be able to hide one or both sides of the transfer from reports/spending-plan, as the spending plan has a transfers "bucket" where you can include or not individual transfers (either side, though it's a little confusing).

Savings goal is more useful if you have individual savings goals that you want to reach, rather than tracking total savings amount. It's very manual right now.

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.