Create Categories Quickly

paleosteve
paleosteve Member ✭✭
edited December 2021 in Feature Requests

This may be most relevant when a new user starts configuring Simplifi to meet their needs. Currently in the Transaction view, when going through and assigning categories, if a new category is needed I need to switch over to the Manage menu and enter the Category and Tags maintenance screen from there. And then when I'm done I switch back over to Transactions and find where I left off.

I suggest creating some sort of quick category maintenance function right in the Transactions screen. Perhaps a small floating popup. Or simply the ability to type a category and if it is not recognized, a prompt to add it and (optionally) its parent. I think MINT has this capability.

10 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Categories can now be created through the register.

Comments

• Coach Tappan
    Coach Tappan Retired Coach ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the suggestion! It makes sense. Currently you can create Tags "on the fly," but you still have to go to the Manage menu to create a new Category. We'll pass this on to our development team to see if we can get it added.

• bowgy4
    bowgy4 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Currently to add new categories you have to navigate to the options menu and then to categories. Mostly, a new category is needed while editing a transaction and realizing that you want a new category for the transaction you're editing. In the category menu that pops up, there should be a way to either add a new category "inline" by just continuing to type additional characters beyond the existing categories, or there should at least be a "+ New Category" option in the menu which just uses a modal popup of the existing category setup page.

I tried to embed a picture from OneDrive, but this community service doesn't seem to allow it - I just get a blank return instead of the image.
  • Coach Tappan

That's a terrific suggestion. It's similar to one that another "Simplifier" suggested earlier today, so it's definitely on our radar. Thanks! Here's the link: https://community.trysimplifi.com/discussion/55/create-categories-quickly#latest

• mazar1977
    mazar1977 Member ✭✭✭✭

YES !!. The ability to add categories on the fly when editing a transaction would be awesome !!!

• Coach Tappan

@mazar1977 Thanks for "seconding" adding the ability to create Categories "on the fly" in Simplifi. A few of us have made the same suggestion! FYI, you can make sure we record your recommendation by clicking on the "Vote" button on the original post. We appreciate your feedback!

• TGP
    TGP Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good idea!
  • As a new person to the app, I find my self adding a number of new categories for myself. When I am entering new transactions or updating existing ones, I find myself searching for a category, seeing it does not exist, having to leave the transaction view, add a new category, come back and update the transaction. That is a lot of steps that could be simplified by being able to add a new category from the transaction view as you search and see it is not in your list.

• Coach Nicole
    Coach Nicole Administrator, Moderator admin

@reverik I agree, the current process is a little cumbersome. We'll submit this feedback to our product team and hopefully, we'll get the ability to create categories "on the fly." Thank you :smile:

• Coach Nicole
    edited November 2019

Hi all -- I'm happy to confirm this request is in the works and we should have an update within the next few weeks! We'll keep you posted! Thank you all for the amazing feedback :D

[QWA-5048]

• Coach Nicole

Great news! Our amazing Product Development Team has just finished its first round of major improvements to Simplifi, many based on the comments and suggestions you posted here! Like the ability to create a Category as you're entering or editing an item on the Transactions page, which was always on our Top Ten List! Before the update, the only way to create a new Category was to go to the "Manage" tab and enter it there. Now, you can just begin typing in the Category field, and if it recognizes it as new, it will give you a chance to make it a Category or a Subcategory of an existing field. Take a look!!`

This discussion has been closed.