Excluded Transfers and Spending Plan (edited)

Options
r0ck3t
r0ck3t Member
edited November 2023 in Managing Your Transactions

I just can't make sense of why you would exclude a "transfer" from like a Carpayment or a Credit Card payment from the Spending Plan.

When something is excluded from the spending plan, the spending plan updates and says I have more money available. That is right (?), if I send $1000 to a credit card and it is excluded, I sure don't want my plan to reflect I have another $1000 to spend.

Can any explain to me or link me to a resource WHY you would do this? I feel like I am missing something.

Please don't link this, as it does nothing to really explain why. Can anyone help me understand?

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5142302-how-credit-card-payments-and-transfers-are-handled-in-the-spending-plan

Best Answer

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Transfers are not spending ("buying" the car or "spending" on the credit card is spending), unless you want them to be. From the spending plan, you can unhide one side of a transfer from the spending plan if you want.

The spending plan is not an indicator of how much money you have (or have left), it's more a guage of how your spending is. If you count a $10 credit card purchase as spending and the $10 credit card payment as spending, you'd be counting $20 as spending when you really spent $10.

Rob Wilkens

Answers

• r0ck3t
    Options

I understand that transfers are not spending. What eludes me is why Simplifi automatically excludes from reports and spending, Credit Card payments AND when it is excluded the "available" (per day) goes up. A credit card payment should reduce available funds not increase them.

Based upon the statement above, I should be excluding the Credit Card side of transaction but including the source payment account side?

If that is true, why did Quicken make it so it is always excluded on both sides. It really makes me feel like I am missing kinda understanding given they are likely smarter than me.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@r0ck3t credit card payments DO reduce available funds, as seen in the cash flow chart. The spending plan is not available funds, it's an indicator of whether your spending is less than your income.

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.