Hid old data I'm not willing to groom

Options
dbk
dbk Member
edited November 2023 in Feedback

For a new user, 'grooming' the data so that transactions are correctly classified and category breakdowns are basically reliable isn't something they're going to want to do for the entire, large stock of transactions the product imports. Also, how long the transaction history goes back is going to vary by account. Data older than the month the user signed up is therefore likely to contain major errors. All it really does is mess up yearly totals and monthly averages.

I would like to tell the product "I don't care about anything earlier than XX date".

Tagged:

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@dbk ,

Welcome to Simplifi! You can feel free to delete that old data since Simplifi doesn’t rely on prior transactions as much as other software you may have used. Said another way, your bank balance isn’t dependent on all of the transactions in your account register being correct.

You can find more details about this by searching the forum for the term “Running Balance”.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@dbk, thanks for posting!

@Flopbot is correct, and that's exactly what I'd recommend. Since Quicken Simplifi doesn't rely on transactions to report an accurate balance for connected accounts, you can easily delete all of the older data and not have it impact anything. The fastest way to do so would be to:

1. Select the "Banking" tab so all transactions from all of your bank-type accounts are displayed.
    2. Expand all of the months you want to delete and collapse the rest of the (newer) months.
    3. Select all visible transactions by checking the box to the upper left of the Transaction Activity (please double-check to make sure ONLY the transactions/months you want to delete are checked before moving on to the next step).
    4. Bulk delete the selected transactions by following the steps here.

This should only take a few minutes and will leave you with just the transactions you want to keep as a starting point. I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.