On the web, I can flag an incoming transaction as a recurring bill, but on app it's only income

Options
Nu2Money
Nu2Money Member ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Troubleshooting

Think of the example where a roommate gives you half of the money for rent. Simplifi via the web handles this well, but not on the iOS app.

On the web browser, I can take a transaction flagged as "Rent" that has a positive value, choose 'mark as bill or recurring', and link it to an existing bill, match it to a new bill, or mark it as a one-time bill.

On iOS, the exact same transaction and the same category of "Rent", because it's a positive value, the app only allows me to flag it as a "recurring personal income". It's impossible to flag this Rent transaction as part of an existing recurring bill or create a new recurring bill.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Nu2Money, thanks for reaching out!

I'm seeing the exact same behavior on the web app and the mobile app when using the referenced menu options from a transaction. I tested all 3 options on both platforms with an income (positive) transaction that has an expense category, and saw the following in both locations:

• Selecting "Mark as one-time bill" placed the item in the Bills section of the Spending Plan.
    • Selecting "Create new recurring" prompted me to create a Recurring Expense Series (because of the expense category), but for a positive amount.
    • Selecting "Link to existing recurring" pulled up my existing Recurring Expense Series' (because of the expense category) to allow me to link it to them.

With that, would you mind outlining more specifically what you're seeing? I performed my testing based on my understanding of your description, and I'm also on an Android where I see you're on iOS, so we need a better outline from you. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• Nu2Money
    Nu2Money Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I deleted the recurring so that I can replicate . If I tap on the above transaction on my iphone, I can only choose recurring income. On the web, I can choose as an expense.

[edited image to reduce size]

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Nu2Money, is "Rent" an income or an expense category? You can determine this under Settings > Categories. Also, have you tried this with any other transactions, or is it just this one you're seeing an issue with?

-Coach Natalie

• Nu2Money
    Nu2Money Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Coach Natalie - It's already configured as an expense. Screenshot attached. On my phone, any category that is a positive value defaults to only being able to toggle as a recurring income. So, all categories as an expense default to this toggle. What I do is configure these on the web and then use the IOS app more for viewing/analyzing.

[edited image to reduce size]

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Nu2Money, thanks for confirming!

Since you're just seeing this issue when using the Mobile App, and since I'm unable to replicate it, let's go ahead and have you perform an uninstall/reinstall of the app to see if doing so clears things up. If the issue persists, we'll need the following info for a dataset-specific escalation:

1. The make, model, and OS of the device you're using the Quicken Simplifi Mobile App on.
    2. An additional example transaction/category would be great to have as well — maybe find another income transaction that's using a different expense category, and provide a screenshot of the "recurring" part of the transaction, as well as a screenshot of the category from Settings that shows it's an expense category (just like your screenshots above, but with an additional example).
    3. A comparison screenshot of the "recurring" options for these same example transactions on the Quicken Simplifi Web App.

Please also submit your logs via the Send Feedback option on the Web App:

1. Log into the Quicken Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

-Coach Natalie

• Nu2Money
    Nu2Money Member ✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie , I'm thinking maybe it's re-dxplaining the steps on how to reproduce. I tried it on Android (Pixel 7 PRO - Android 13) and it behaves the same. Below are the steps to reproduce on Android:

1. Tap Quicken Simplifi app
    2. On top left, tap on burger icon
    3. Tap on All Transactions
    4. Tap on a transaction where the dollar value is green and has a positive symbol and the expense category is an expense

Under Additional details, the only option is to list it as Recurring income.

If it's different for you, can you share a photo of what you see after following these steps? I'm thinking either that it's clarification of my steps that will help or there's a second way of labeling recurring bills on phone that I don't know of yet, and I can start using.

• Coach Natalie
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Nu2Money, ahh I see, it's just mislabeled (I must have missed this in my original testing). When I used the toggle, though, it marks it as a Bill, no matter which option I choose. If I attempt to "create new recurring" from it, it allows me to create a Bill or Subscription for a positive amount:

Is this what you're seeing as well? Marking it as a one-time bill places it in Bills in the Spending Plan, and linking to existing allows me to link it to Recurring Bills, not Income; this is the same as the Web App. The only issue I'm seeing with this behavior is that the toggle is labeled "Recurring Income". Can you confirm, please?

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.