Pending transactions not being downloaded (edited)

Options
Paul H.
Paul H. Member

Hello. I use USAA and it is one of the banks that for some reason does not allow downloading of pending transactions. That causes frustrations because my bank balance is generally never correct because it INCLUDES pending transactions. Is there a way for Simplifi to report my account balance without the pending transactions?

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is something in account settings, which usually you don't have to mess with, called "Balance with Pending". If you change it, you may have to wait 4-5 hours for the next bank sync to happen before the change is reflected. Be cautious with this, if it's wrong you may have to switch it back and wait another 4-5 hours to sync again:

Also there is a similar setting for balance with/without pending here, that might have a more immediate impact, here:

Sorry if this doesn't directly answer your question, but I hope it at least gives you something to try.

Rob Wilkens

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Paul H.

Simplifi can only work with the data that the banks give it. Wells Fargo is another bank that doesn't include pending transactions in its data downloads. I have never found this to be a problem however since whether or not my bank shows the balance with pending, the actual balance in my account is what is there before the bank process and pays out the pending. Same with credit cards. Although most of my credit card banks do report pending transactions almost in real time it sometimes seems, the actual amount I owe and that I can schedule to pay is the total of all transactions that have actually been paid out and not the balance with pending.

On the other hand, Simplifi isn't really focused on being a bank account register designed to give you a minute-by-minute update of your account balances. Simplifi is focused on your actual spending plan for the month (monthly budget) and uses the data from your banks to help you track your actual income and spending in conjunction with your planned income and spending.

I don't focus on my account balances beyond what my banks report after the overnight process of all pending transactions myself but there is much discussion in this forum about this issue. You can manually enter your Pending transactions if you don't want to wait for your bank to process them, but I'm not sure this will impact the account balance reported in Simplifi since as far as I understand it, Simplifi's account list balances are based on downloaded data more than as a checkbook type register for keeping a running balance. I may be wrong and others who are more focused on a running balance throughout the day will have better insight into this.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am pleased to report that Wells Fargo is now sending pending transactions. I got some this week. Also, I do not get asked to enter a code for MFA each time like I did last month. Yay!

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @UrsulaA I just noticed that since I reconnected to WF with their newly launched connection method the two new transactions since then have downloaded while still pending. We’ll see if this holds true moving forward.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, I noticed the pending transactions this month after I reconnected the account.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

This discussion has been closed.