CC Payments not displaying in reports

Options
Pchamb1998
Pchamb1998 Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2023 in Using Reports

Credit Card payments are not displaying in reports when determining actual cash flow for specified periods.

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Credit Card spending is 'spending'; paying off credit cards is more of a transfer … If it counted your credit card charges as spending and your credit card payments as spending, every credit card purchase would essentially be charged twice in the spending report. So, a $10 purchase would show as $20 ($10 charge + $10 payment) when you only spent $10.

Did you know you can enter credit card purchases as a linked transfer? With this, you put the category as a transfer to the target account. This works similarly to what you're doing but links the transactions on the paying and receiving side of the transfer. It's not important to do it that way, but it can make things more organized.

Rob Wilkens

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You’re in good hands with Rob. I think of the “Credit Card Payment” category as something I’d only use if one side of my accounts (CC or Bank) weren’t in Simplifi.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Pchamb1998
    Pchamb1998 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

So what is the solution for recognizing actual monthly cash flow vs adjusted for a given month? Let’s say you Spent $1150 during the month of October on a credit card. On Oct 31, you had a posted balance of $1,000 and submit payment. So actual cash flow will be higher than the adjusted amount and potentially lower the next month. Am I making sense?

• Pchamb1998
    Pchamb1998 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Cash exiting the account for October is less than reflected by Simplifi. And potentially higher the next month assuming octobers pending charges are posted and paid in November.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Pchamb1998, it looks like @RobWilk and @Flopbot have got you covered, but I just wanted to mention that any transaction with a Transfer Category will always be excluded from Reports; this is by design and is mentioned in our support article here. But you can vote for this ability!

As for the credit card payments, I personally just focus on my spending for that credit card for the month; these expenses are categorized and tracked accordingly. When I pay the card, regardless of the amount, the payment is tracked as a Transfer and I don't count it against me as an expense since I've already tracked everything I'm paying as an expense. Does that make sense and help?

-Coach Natalie

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Pchamb1998

I approach CC’s similarly to @Coach Natalie and don’t want the payments to appear so I can’t really speak towards your “recognizing actual monthly cash flow” question. Honestly, I haven’t grown that far in my journey with Simplifi. Hopefully someone else will has better insight?

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Cash flow (in the future) is on the Cash Flow chart on each account ("See Projected Cash flow" on mobile app). That's separate from the spending report which is the amount of money you spent (not moved around from account to account).

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.