Scale on Income Report Bar Chart is Skewed

Options
alkaboy
alkaboy Member ✭✭✭
edited February 9 in Report a Bug

I'm drilled down into the following Income Report view:
Breakdown: By Category
Drilled into a Category
I have 2 transactions shown - one for $1,724 and one for $508 - each fall under a different Subcategory. However, the resulting bar chart shows one bar that is very, very smaller than ~1/3 of the other bar (i.e. not aligned with the proportionate values):

The two transactions:

Originally referenced in this post but broken out into its own bug:

[removed]

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited December 2023
    Options

@alkaboy, thanks for posting!

I tried to reproduce this bug and was unable to do so, so it must be dataset-specific. To report the issue, we'll need some additional details as follows:

1. Hover over each of the bars in the graph and grab a screenshot so the totals can be seen.
    2. In lieu of those screenshots, you can also provide a screenshot of the Transaction Detail view for each of the transactions so we can see the Date, Payee, and Amount.
    3. A screenshot of the "Federal Taxes" and "State Taxes" Categories from the Settings menu that shows the Categories in question are set up as Income.
    4. The browser and browser version you're accessing the Quicken Simplifi Web App from.
    5. The OS of the device you're accessing the Quicken Simplifi Web App from.

Please also provide your logs by using the 'Send Feedback' option:

1. Log into the Quicken Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

I look forward to your reply!

-Coach Natalie

• alkaboy
    alkaboy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie

Current browser: Chrome on Windows 10

Version 120.0.6099.56 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

Submitting feedback now.

• Coach Natalie
    edited December 2023
    Options

@alkaboy, thanks!

I ended up being able to reproduce this, but only when drilling into Categories where negative income is present. I have reported it and will let you know when I hear back.

I did want to point out, though, that both of the Income Report issues you've reported are due to having negative income for those Categories. I'm still awaiting confirmation on the other bug we reported, but it's sounding like that behavior is actually by design, and negative amounts are not meant to be plotted on the graph when a Breakdown is used, so that report may end up as a Feature Request instead. With that, is there a reason you're tracking your deductions this way? I think most users track the net amount for their paychecks, and then track the deductions using Expense Categories.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5983781-how-to-track-pre-deposit-paycheck-deductions

I'm wondering if changing your method and trying the official way would give you better accounting results when viewing Reports. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-18928

• alkaboy
    alkaboy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie Understood on all fronts. If it needs to be a feature request, then so be it. I do think it is still odd though that the default design is to not show a negative # in the bar chart but still have it reflected in the #s/totals.

My general perspective when looking at my income vs. spend is that payroll/withholding taxes are not necessarily spend. If I earn the income, then the taxes are non-negotiable. It's basically a way to be both 1) understand after-tax income vs. expenses and also still 2) see the bridge from gross income to after-tax income

• Coach Natalie
    edited December 2023
    Options

@alkaboy, agreed. I think if the color shows in the legend, and the amount and color shows in the tooltip, it should be plotted on the graph regardless. But we shall see what they say!

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@alkaboy, a fix for this is expected with the 3.94.0 Web Release.

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@alkaboy, was this fixed for you? 😀

-Coach Natalie

• alkaboy
    alkaboy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie fixed!!

This discussion has been closed.