How do I lower the balance on a manual account?

Options
Miri
Miri Member

Simplifi is not able to connect with my mortgage or my 401k accounts. I've set them up as manual accounts. The trouble comes when I try to lower the current balance. I add a transaction manually, but no matter how I type in the number, it increases the balance. I've categorized these as "balance adjustment". Why can't a balance adjustment be negative? How can I manually add a transaction to a manual account that lowers the current balance owed?

Best Answers

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Miri, thanks for posting!

If you enter a minus sign in front of the amount when entering a transaction, it will be negative, and a plus sign will make it positive. Please give the minus sign a try and let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• dave123456
    dave123456 Member
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@Miri @Coach Kristina @Coach Natalie I just found the answer… you actually need to add a (+) to the entry to reduce a manual loan balance. So it would look like +50.00. Probably not designed the right way!

Answers

• Miri
    Miri Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi! Thanks for the suggestion. The field does not allow a minus sign. No matter how many times I type it and press enter, it saves it as a positive value. I thought maybe the issue was with it being categorized as an expense or transfer, so aside from categorizing it as a mortgage payment or as a balance adjustment, I also tried categorizing as income. Regardless of the category or what I type, it adds to the mortgage balance. I'm using the Windows app, which appears to be a Chrome overlay.

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm sorry to hear that didn't work. So we can assist further, could you please provide a bit more info? Is this happening on a manual mortgage account, manual 401k account, or a different kind of account? Is this happening while using the web app, the mobile app, or does it happen on both? If possible, would you please provide a screenshot (with any personal information redacted)?

I look forward to your reply!

-Coach Kristina

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It depends, @dave123456

If you are doing a transfer (for example, from checking to the loan), you leave the negative amount in the checking account transaction but put a category as the target account (under the transfer category), and it will automatically create a positive entry in the loan account.

If you're just entering a transaction on the loan account, all credits are entered with a + sign because you are adding money to the account (and hence lowering the debt).

-Rob

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.