How do I assign a reimbursement check deposit transaction to a recurring bill

Options
JFKnight
JFKnight Member
edited January 5 in Bills and Income

How do I assign a reimbursement check deposit transaction to a recurring bill so that it reduces the spending in that bill category? 

Eg A bill is paid and automatically assigned to a recurring bill category. I receive a partial reimbursement for that bill by check. Deposit the check into my account. How do I assign the reimbursement check deposit to the recurring bill category to reduce the spending in that category by whatever the reimbursement check is? 

I’ve had 2 coaches tell me it can’t be done and that I have to create a custom income category to show those deposits in my account as income and that by creating these custom income categories, the deposits will only be added to your overall income and will not reduce the spending in the specific recurring bill category, resulting in false total spending in that category.

When I try assigning the check deposit to a recurring bill, it doesn’t reduce the amount spent in the bill category and puts that deposit into other spending as an expense.

Tagged:

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried using the Refund feature to associate the refund with the original payment? I don’t know if this will actually reduce the amount of the expense in the expense category, but you could set it up, make the connection and see what happens. The only other Idea I can think of is to split the original transaction with the second split in the amount of the refund to the same expense category and using the “+” Have no idea what that would do.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JFKnight see if this artlcle helps you

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@JFKnight, I'd suggest marking the transaction as a "One-time bill"; more details on this option are available here: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3625912-managing-recurring-transactions#h_6df287c2a8

Let us know how this works for you!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.