How can I view my dividend transactions from brokerage accounts in Income reports?

Options
movieman12345
movieman12345 Member
edited January 5 in Investments

I'd like to categorize my ETF dividends as Income, but these transactions aren't visible in reports.

Best Answer

• RockLee
    RockLee Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

How transactions are downloaded may be different for each brokerage, but for me (Interactive Brokers) this is how I do it.

• For the transaction, change the "Action" to "Payment/Deposit" at the bottom of the selection. This will allow you to change the "Destination/Category".
    • Change the "Destination/Category" to an Income Category, either exiting or custom (like Income→Dividend). Set visibility for reporting and it should now be included in the "Income" and "Net Income" reports.

"Payment/Deposit" is the only Action that allows you to set the Category. Even though the Action attribute includes a "Stock Dividend"…. It feels a little half backed to me, but it does work.

There are no automatic rules for investment transactions, so you will need to set these manually :(

Answers

• movieman12345
    movieman12345 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thank you so much @RockLee! This works! But, seems like it's not feasible to edit the "Action" (and subsequently, the option to disable "Exclude from Reports") for multiple transactions? i.e., does this have to be done one transaction at a time?

• RockLee
    RockLee Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, unfortunately, there is no multi-edit in investment transactions.

This discussion has been closed.