Move/delete/merge Mint categories?

Options
theromm
theromm Member ✭✭
edited January 11 in Categories and Tags

I have been importing Mint data one account at a time and realized that it is great Simplifi is able to import Mint categories but by mapping them to their own Mint section in the category listing, Simplifi ends up with some duplicate categories.

Is it ok if I merge a Mint category by re-categorizing the transactions to the equivalent Simplifi version? Will some new Mint transactions I import later recreate that Mint category? Or the best bet to re-categorize is after importing all accounts from Mint?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Is it ok if I merge a Mint category by re-categorizing the transactions to the equivalent Simplifi version?

Yes, this will work. Or move the Mint category to the Simplifi category group (example: move car registration to the Auto & Transport category group)

Will some new Mint transactions I import later recreate that Mint category?

I believe yes if you replace the renamed Mint category with the new Simplifi category in the Mint CSV @Coach Natalie - can you confirm this? Simplifi's help document says not to alter the Mint CSV file before import.

I re-categorized transactions after importing from Mint using the category filter and the edit multiple transactions feature. That process was efficient and more in line with the Mint import process Simplifi has created.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@theromm & @UrsulaA, what I noticed when testing out the import of Mint Categories is that if the Category already existed in Quicken Simplifi, the import would just map to that existing Category. If the Category didn't exist, I'd see it placed under the "Mint" section in Settings. If I moved it out of the Mint section and placed it with the rest of my normal Quicken Simplifi Categories, a new import would still just map to that existing Category.

So, duplicate Categories should not result, no matter where they reside. And the Mint CSV file is not supposed to be altered before being imported into Quicken Simplifi, so I'd suggest creating the same Categories in Quicken Simplifi as you have in Mint before doing the export/import to see how that works for you.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• theromm
    theromm Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, I like the idea of moving the Mint categories to the respective Simplifi groups. At least they will show up better in reports under the right category groups. I would still like to merge categories which are similar and I may go with merging the Simplifi ones with the Mint names so that if I import something later, they will still map properly.

@Coach Natalie hoping that is true - if the Mint category is moved out of the Mint category group, future imports will still match that category correctly and it won't create a duplicate category under the Mint group, right?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• theromm
    theromm Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok cool, thanks. I will either update Mint in the UI to have categories spelled exactly like Quicken Simplifi, or let it land as a Mint category and then move it. Good to know it won't be duplicated. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.