Ability to Import/Export Investment Transactions (edited)

Options
Jack74
Jack74 Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Feature Requests

Ability to export all investment transactions into a CSV file is very important for those who use that info to prepare year end statements to track dividend income, buy/sell activities or any other investment cash sub-account activity.

29 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Our product team is reviewing this ability!

Comments

• DRC
    Options

I just started getting all of my data in and found that the upload transactions function on the investment tabs is not operable. What a disappointment!! Please get this feature working ASAP!

• smugdoug
    smugdoug Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

So I’m being forced to move from Mint to Simplifi, and now I’m finding out that I can’t import my 10 year history of investment transactions. How can this be? Seems like not much different than importing banking transactions. Investors moving from Mint don’t want to lose their history. Please add this ability BEFORE Mint disappears!

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have no say, but I think they will add it, maybe before mint closes, however, you should know any investment support at all just showed up around September of 2022 (so it's only been here around a year), I gather they just never got around to supporting importing yet.

This was the announcement a year ago, I gather the feedback is still open:

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I vote for this feature too. I like seeing the investment transactions on the app, but will like to import to CSV for my records. After the Mint shutdown, I am keeping a CSV export file of my data as a backup.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• BudgetNerd
    Options

You can import investment transactions. You just import them as "Other Banking", then switch them to "Brokerage" accounts after import, then link your brokerage account to the existing accounts.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This post meant to say "export to CSV for my records". I agree with the feature request though. Import from CSV and export investment transactions to CSV.

@BudgetNerd your workaround sounds good for importing but the export function is needed too.

Minter 2014-2023

• akishore
    akishore Member
    Options

For those of you moving from Mint, the import feature so far has worked really well for me. I just download the CSV file for each account from Mint and then go to Simplifi, click on the account, click the import button, choose Importing from Mint and then select the file.

What's nice is you don't have to worry about the transactions that are already there. Just import the file as is and within about a minute or two, everything shows up and there are no duplicates.

The only issue I have run into is that this does not work for investment accounts. It only seems to work on bank accounts and credit cards. Not sure about loans as I don't have any to test.

The import button is there on each investment account if you go to the Transactions tab, but it's greyed out. It would be wonderful if the same seamless import could be done for investments.

If it's not done before Mint shuts down, I would just download all the CSV files and save them.

• BudgetNerd
    Options

@UrsulaA agreed! In addition to downloading Investment transactions, it would be very helpful if the investment transactions were also included in the "Transactions" tab!

Mint was very good for having a central ledger of EVERYTHING. No investment transactions are separate, and future transactions just disappear. Working through the bugs of transitioning from mint…painful! (but should be good once set up!)

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

There is an active feature request here. Vote for it. Also, there is a workaround to import investment transactions to an account.

[removed link to merged thread]

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I will be ok with the manual investment transactions being in the main transactions list as long as I can filter them out.

I need to look at my banking transactions more often without the investment transactions clutter. I look at investment transactions once a quarter or so.

Minter 2014-2023

• freckle14
    Options

It would be helpful to be able to export investment transactions like regular transactions. I would also be in favor of having the option to view those transactions in the same space as regular transactions.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I reestablished my Mint account to get investment transactions exported in the meantime. This will only work until March 23.

If investment transactions are made available with regular transactions, I want the ability to filter the view to hide them by default and toggle to view investment transactions when I need to export.

Minter 2014-2023

• fortitood
    Options

From Reddit:

You can import older data, but you have to do it in a round about way.

1. Make sure you have the account set up already in Simplifi

2). Go to the regular transactions tab on the left and go to the import screen. This is NOT the transactions screen for the investment transactions. You can't import from there.

3). Select the file to import, but in the corner, select your investment account to import the transactions into. You should be able to select the specific account you want the imported transactions to be filed under.

4). Transactions should show up under the investment correctly.

• naa
    naa Member
    Options

Currently, the button to download investment transaction data is greyed out & not functional. I can't export these transactions as it stands which is a important use case for me

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@naa point of clarification. Are you asking for ability to download investment transaction from Simplifi to your computer? If so, why would you do that rather than download investment data directly from your broker/investment house where your accounts are held?

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16
    Options

This feature request is already posted and in review. Comment and vote below.

[removed link to merged thread]

In the meantime, I am downloading investment transactions from my broker where the accounts are held as @DannyB suggested. I am keeping an Excel file with my data as a backup and use power query to format the transactions as I want them saved.

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited February 7
    Options

Hey everyone! I learned that Investment Transactions can be imported into Investment Accounts. However, since there is no import template for Securities and investing actions, they will all import as 'Payment/Deposit'. Additionally, since the import button is not currently enabled in investing registers, the import must be initiated from a different account. You can then change the account you're importing into during the import flow. I tested this yesterday using our CSV template and it worked!

With that, you should all soon see that the import button is enabled in investing registers, which should make this functionality a lot easier to accomplish. And as far as this Idea post goes, we will leave it open for those of you who would like a separate Investment Transactions Import template that supports Securities and actual investing actions, as well as for the ability to export Investment Transactions as I'm not sure if this ability will also be enabled.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Coach Natalie - your post is consistent with the workaround above. I imported transactions into investment accounts this way but had to categorize everything properly.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@AllanT vote for the exporting of investment transactions here. Saw your post on the investment transactions discussion.

Minter 2014-2023

• axon
    axon Member
    Options

Any timeline on when importing transactions on investment accounts will be enabled?