Something is up with Wells Fargo pending transactions

Options

Comments

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Found a new wrinkle on this issue this morning.

Yesterday a Pending transaction was DL'd from Wells Fargo, and the rule that I had for it was applied correctly ("Tst" "Bricksi" to "Brickside" with a category of Coffee Shops).

This morning that transaction is missing, but a new one where the rule was not applied took its place with today's date. Below is a screenshot showing what I see this morning, along with yesterday's notification show that I did get the transaction yesterday.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think at least part of the reason for this issue is that WF (rather stupidly, IMO), updates the Posted date on pending transactions to the current day until it is cleared. So a transaction where I ran the debit card on the 7th will show up on the 7th, but on the 8th it will show up as if I had run the card on the 8th, and so on until it clears.

I suspect this is as confusing to Q-Simplifi as it is to me.

Anthony Bopp

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8
    Options

Thanks for your insight on this. I also use Wells Fargo.

I got a pending paycheck that downloaded yesterday originally downloaded again today with today's date instead of yesterday's date. I had to relink the paycheck to the recurring series in the Spending plan again as the spending plan showed the paycheck as upcoming still, which was causing the income to be double counting. The paycheck was not duplicated for me, just updated with a different date and a broken recurring series link.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@ajbopp, it sounds like our product team has gotten to the bottom of things on this issue, and it's caused by modifying the transaction while it's pending. I didn't know this, but apparently editing a pending transaction causes the user to "own" it, which can make it take much longer to clear or sometimes not clear at all.

With that, they'd like you to do some testing by not modifying the pending transactions at all until they clear. Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• Sandee
    Sandee Member ✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie are transaction rules applied to pending transactions considered modifying them?

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Sandee, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think so since you have no control over Transaction Rules being applied as they're designed to be automatic.

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@ajbopp, any news on this, by chance?

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15
    Options

I am a WF customer also.

I've been receiving either "Large deposit" or "You got paid" notifications for my SSA deposit since it first showed up as pending last Saturday (2/10). When the transaction was identified by Simplifi as a "You got paid," my spending plan began showing both the recurring income and a duplicate unidentified income event thus double counting the income in my Spending Plan. I just let it ride to see what happened in my Spending Plan once the deposit finally cleared at the bank.

This morning it now shows as cleared at the bank and in Simplifi notified my again that I got paid, the duplicate entry (@UrsulaA also mentioned) went away and the recurring income reminder is marked as received.

@ajbopp I didn't think about checking the date at WF but will do so next month since this seems to be the only transaction that creates this odd behavior for me.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I had similar experiences as @DannyB with paycheck push notifications with Simplifi. I get one in the web or mobile app when the paycheck is pending and another when the paycheck clears from Wells Fargo. No duplicate transactions though.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie I have a pending transaction currently, and I am keeping screenshots every day showing what is changing in my transactions list. I expect this transaction to clear on Saturday morning.

So far, I have the original transaction which was renamed correctly according to the rule I set up. This occurred yesterday. This morning, the same transaction shows up a second time with today's date,m and without the rule being applied.

On the WF site, the posted date has been updated from yesterday, when I made the transaction, to today.

Anthony Bopp

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@DannyB & @UrsulaA, if you'd like, you can create a separate post to report the repeating Notifications, as this sounds to be more program-related than online banking if duplicate transactions aren't involved. Danny, if you think the Notifications are being triggered by duplicate transactions, I'd say your case is part of this issue and may not occur if the duplicates weren't downloading.

@ajbopp, perfect — thank you!

-Coach Natalie

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17
    Options

Here's the brief history of my latest pending transaction.

Day 1, the 14th, a pending transaction is received from WF. On the WF site, the transaction posted date is the 14th.

Day 2, the 15th, a duplicate transaction shows up that does not have the renaming rule applied. It's dated for 15th. On the WF site, this transaction was modified to have a posted date of the 15th.

Day 3, the 16th, yesterday's duplicate transaction disappeared. The original one, renamed, is still present. On the WF site, the posted date is the 16th.

Day 4, the 17th, the original transaction is marked as Cleared and there are no signs of any duplicates

To be honest, I think the root of this problem lies with WF. They shouldn't be changing the date like that. Plus I've seen several instances a week of charges not appearing in my WF register at all for two or three days after what they claim is the posted date. IOW, on the 16th a transaction appears for the first time with a posted date of the 13th. (Simplifi doesn't seem to have an issue with this odd behavior).

Anthony Bopp

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@ajbopp, thank you for the outline — that's perfect! Has the transaction cleared yet, though? If not, let's follow things through to the end and show what happens when it clears in Quicken Simplifi.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Updated my last post to reflect the day that it cleared.

Anthony Bopp

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@ajbopp, hey again!

They said the example you provided is perfect, and now they'd like fresh logs from you:

1. Log into the Quicken Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Anthony Bopp

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I got a bit of a new wrinkle on this issue this morning. For the first time I see it with a transfer between WF accounts, rather than an incoming transaction. On the WF site this transfer is cleared.

This makes my balances for checking and savings off.

Will keep an eye on this to see if it, too, goes away.

Anthony Bopp

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29
    Options

These pending items are still there this morning. I don't think they're going to go away on their own

Anthony Bopp

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1
    Options

So it looks like these pending items are not going to go away. I'm going to have to manually delete them because it's throwing off too many other things.

Anthony Bopp

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@ajbopp, yes I'd go ahead and just delete them. We'll wait to see what they come back with on the escalation and then look at any lingering issues. Hopefully none are present after they fix things, though. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

FYI on WF pending transactions.

Here are the notifications that I received over the past few days regarding pending deposits. As of this morning (3-6) these have all resolved, once cleared by WF.

I also had multiple entries for the various days in my checking register. But as of this morning the registry came into alignment with the bank as the deposits finally cleared.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Options

@ajbopp, the ticket for this issue came back as fixed! Can you keep an eye on Quicken Simplifi and let us know, please?

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I should have some insight on this later this week!

Anthony Bopp

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@ajbopp, any news on this? 😀

-Coach Natalie

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I haven't seen much of a change. Pending transactions are still repeating daily, and application of rules is unreliable.

However, I did notice this morning that a transaction that cleared last Friday is not appearing in Quicken Simplifi at all yet. That's a new one. Other transactions from the same account - both before and after the missing one - have been downloaded, so it doesn't appear that the account itself just "stopped"

I am covinced that the root of this problem is with Wells Fargo, and not QS. But WF doesn't have a message board for me to complain on :)

Anthony Bopp

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@ajbopp, thanks!

Can you try resetting the connection to see if the account updates, please? Let me know if that gets you back on track!

-Coach Natalie

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24
    Options

@Coach Natalie resetting seemed to improve things. I'll know better in a day or two. Had a transaction this morning that will be pending until Saturday.

Also, that missing transaction downloaded as well.

Anthony Bopp

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie here's what I see this morning

In the past, I could have expected to see two transactions from Brickside - one from yesterday and one from today. Now I only see one from today.

I do see a duplicate from Lagrange, but I'm pretty sure that's because I edited it with a note.

Anthony Bopp

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@ajbopp, sounds like an improvement, at least!

Let's have you keep an eye on this for a few more transactions just to make sure things are working properly for you now. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26
    Options

@Coach Natalie This morning I see just about what I expect to see.

The duplicate transaction to Lagrange is gone, and it kept the one that I edited.

There are also no duplicates to Brickside, though oddly enough it's vanished entirely. This transaction won't be in a cleared status until tomorrow. I don't consider this to be much of a problem, except that seems inconsistent since this pending transaction was visible in yesterday's screenshot.

Anthony Bopp

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.