Balance issues with Wells Fargo pending transactions

Options
System
System Administrator admin

This discussion was created from comments split from:

Something is up with Wells Fargo pending transactions.

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I have a different issue with Wells Fargo pending transactions, it may be related to this thread. See enclosed file.

Summary: My balance gets reduced by the pending deposit on the days prior to it and then reverts to the balance prior to the pending deposit.

Also, below are answers to @Coach Natalie's questions.

1. Do you have Early Access enabled? - Yes
    2. Are these Recurring Transactions? - Yes
    3. Are any of the transactions manually entered or are they all downloaded? - Downloaded
    4. Are any manual changes made to the transactions after they download? - No
    5. Does the issue occur with every transaction that downloads into the account, or are there specific trends, such as transactions that have a Transaction Rule applied, or are linked to a Recurring Series, etc? - Recurring series with a payee rename rule
    6. Do you see the issue on the Quicken Simplifi Mobile App as well (if you use it)? - not quite, mobile app correctly increases the balance today under projected cash flow

I sent feedback using the steps outlined above. I also opened a chat with support.

Update: I reset my connection with Wells Fargo and the balance issue cleared up on the web app.

Update 2: The mobile app now overstates the balance by the amount of the deposit.

Support told me to mark the transaction as cleared, which is an irreversible action. Now the balance is understated on the web app and correct on the mobile app. Odd behavior.

As a workaround when I get pending transactions for Wells Fargo, I will rely on the balance on the mobile app until the issue is fixed.

Update 3: Support said the issue I am experiencing is related to the "balance mismatch bug" Here is the response from Coach Carlos.

Alright, we now can be more sure that it's related with the issue with balance mismatch, it should be fixed in the next update release.

Update 4: Balances match between mobile app and web app, they both exclude the pending transaction. No zero balances from the bank anymore, data refreshed. The projected cash flow is correct on the mobile app but not the web app.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@UrsulaA, thanks for posting on this topic!

It sounds like you're experiencing an issue with pending transactions being double-counted in the balance and therefore the Projected Cash Flow when a Recurring Reminder is present, such as what Rob reported here for Chase — does that sound about right? If so, let's have you create a new post, as this would be considered a separate issue (this thread is for duplicate pending transactions), or I can split your comment and this comment into a new discussion once the behavior is confirmed; whichever works best.

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, let's split this comment into a separate discussion. While it is similar to the issue Rob reported for Chase, it looks more like the issue with manual transactions not posting to the balance that is still being worked on.

My pending transaction had initially odd behavior - being undercounted in the web app in the balance (reducing the projected cash flow by the amount of the deposit in prior days) and counted correctly in the mobile app showing today's projection with the pending deposit added. I will have another pending transaction coming up to Wells but without the recurring reminder attached.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Update for today - The mobile app correctly shows the balance with pending transactions and the projected cash flow correctly. The web app shows the projected cash flow understated by the amount of the pending transactions, which includes future balance.

Update 2: The web app still deducts the pending transactions from the bank balance for days prior to today. - Issue that needs fixing, that support stated will be fixed with the next web app release.

Projected balances in both web and mobile app disregard pending transactions when using bank balances that exclude them. This looks normal to me.

Workaround - Use the mobile app balance that matches the bank balance with pending.

Above items apply to a Wells Fargo checking account.

Note to self - Do not mark anything that is pending with the bank as cleared. That messes up balance calculations.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I noticed the following, which is good. Simplifi re-downloads a pending transaction from the bank if the user marked the prior version of the same transaction as cleared. It even merges the pending with the cleared transaction, thinking the cleared transaction is manual. I got the correct pending transaction from Wells Fargo and deleted the one I cleared manually yesterday. 😊

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Now that one of the pending transactions cleared, my projected cash flow with balance with pending is correct in both web and mobile. When I use the bank balance as the starting point, both the web and mobile app match and undestate the projection by the amount of the pending transaction. Is this expected behavior? I believe so but I defer to @Coach Natalie.

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@UrsulaA, are you still seeing an issue with this? If so, is it that when you use the 'Balance with Pending' option for the account in question, pending transactions are double-counted in the Projected Cash Flow on the Web App only, or what exactly is occurring at this point? Can you provide screenshots?

Thanks!

-Coach Nataie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My balances at Wells Fargo are correct today.

Bank Balance = balance at bank

Balance with pending = balance at bank + sum of pending transactions

Projected cash flows show future transactions correctly

Minter 2014-2023

This discussion has been closed.