Should I switch to Simplfi from Quicken Classic?

Options
stuboyle
stuboyle Member
edited February 19 in Introduce yourself!

I'm a long time user of Quicken Classic and have reached my frustration limit with respect to account connection issues. Do most of the connection issues go away with Simplifi?

Other pain points with Quicken is that it is slow, which concerns me moving to a web based product.

I'm a heavy user of split transactions. My paycheck has 21 splits for example! Also, I rely on scheduled transaction and calendar features significantly. Don't know how well Simplifi handles these items.

My subscription renews on January 1st, so I need to make a decision quickly. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @stuboyle,

To better answer your question, what kind of account connection issues are you referring to? Are you talking about known issues where the connection doesn't work for most people, or one off issues where you have accounts that refuse to connect/repeatedly disconnect? If you're concerned with known issues, you can check this link to see what financial institutions have known issues connecting with Quicken Simplifi right now.

Simplifi handles scheduled transactions and the calendar differently from how Quicken does it. Please review this link for information on how Simplifi handles them.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Kristina

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also, check out the articles below regarding paychecks and split transactions. Review and determine if Simplifi's process will work for you.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3348103-managing-transactions-in-quicken-simplifi

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5983781-how-to-track-pre-deposit-paycheck-deductions

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@stuboyle

Sorry, just now seeing your post. One thing specifically related to your question, I too am a big splitter. Although I don't split my paycheck in Simplifi since you can't currently split recurring series (i.e. recurring transactions). This doesn't mean I don't make auto deposits into savings from my paycheck - I do. I just track them as separate recurring series in Simplifi. Honestly, it will be a pain if you want to split the actual recurring series because you'll have to do it manually every single time! Can you maybe go into a bit more detail about how you split your paycheck? Do you withdraw money for savings? Track taxes? Track medical?

This isn't going to answer your questions exactly, but as a long-term user of Quicken, you might find this helpful in your consideration. Below are my general thoughts on the difference between the two software offerings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Awhile ago, I replied to a user who was asking which was better for them; Simplifi or Quicken.  Here's part of that discussion...

While Quicken Desktop certainly has more features than Simplifi, I am soooooo happy that I made the switch!  I put a decent amount of time and effort into my search for a Quicken replacement and must have tried somewhere in the neighborhood of eight other budgeting software solutions. I am confident saying that Simplifi is one of the best options out there for the way I think

I feel that Quicken Desktop would be a fine solution for someone with lots of accounts/investments, an accounting background, or lots and lots of time on their hands.  It might be a good fit for a retiree who has the time to fiddle around fixing things and tracking down problems - weekly - while setting at a desktop computer/laptop. Quicken has a super steep learning curve and it’s very easy to make a mistake that takes hours to track down and fix. Many times, I would put in four hours simply to find that I had accidentally deleted a transaction somewhere along the lines.  Quicken Desktop might be a good solution if you don’t mind, or even enjoy, database administration.

For me, I’m more than happy to give up some bells and whistle’s in order to save myself time on data entry. Are there things that I miss, sure, but I’m really pleased to be saving hours of my time simply keeping a database happy.   Being cloud-based, I really love the ease with which I can manage Simplifi. I interchangeably go from an iPad to an iPhone to a laptop and everything stays pretty well synced wherever I am. This part of Simplifi is my favorite!

Finally, I’m quite happy with the responsiveness of Simplifi’s support (the coaches are great) and the speed with which they release bug fixes, updates, and new features.  I have no doubt that one day Simplifi will overtake Quicken Desktop to become Quicken’s flagship solution; I look forward to that day!

Feel free to ask any questions you might have about either software.

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~
    And here is an Apple App Store review I did...

~~~~~~~~

Hope something here helps.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.