Remove restrictions when creating Payee Rules, such as the 3-character limit (edited)

Options
George Sullins
George Sullins Member ✭✭
edited January 10 in Feature Requests

Please remove renaming restrictions. Currently 3 characters are required and spaces and special characters are not allowed. These restriction make no sense. One should be able to use anything they want to establish a rule. Users are capable of determining the efficacy of their rules themselves. I have several payees that use two character names and some that have special characters. The following is an example of a two character name:
WF PL CC PAYMENT 240109 XXXXXXXX059240
"PAYMENT" alone is not unique and the remainder varies per payment.
Three two character qualifiers would be nice, e.g. wf pl cc, or one enclosed in quotes, e.g. "wf pl cc"

8 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Mike B
    Mike B Member
    Options

The current tool to create a renaming rule does not allow you too enter a phrase or punctuation as when you enter a space or punctuation it creates seperate tags and makes it impossible to create accurate rules. Need the ability to enter a phrase or a phrase in quotes.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I’ll vote for this mainly to say that I’d love to see Simplifi work with special characters, not so much the 3-character limit. Honestly, I’ve actually never noticed that there was a 3-character limit.

However, Simplifi’s rules don’t accommodate any business using Square POS software due to the “ * “ asterisk. Here’s one of my payees…

And here’s the rule I’d like to use. However, I can’t use the asterisk in the “If the statement name contains:” box so the remaining rule doesn’t work.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28
    Options

If you tab after entering two characters, the rule works. The word just appears automatically as a rule word if it had more than 3 characters.

Update: If one wants to create a rule with a two character word, the system gives an error. Another string with more than 3 characters are needed for the rule to work. I upvoted this item.

@Flopbot try using eclectic as the last word of the rule if you have not done so. The screenshot is missing the last C. Maybe the screenshot is cut off.

Also, I will love to be able to make rules using special characters. Those are a challenge as I saw special characters messing with Simplifi renaming logic prior to rules being applied on another thread.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I upvoted this as well. I have a weekly bill that shows up as "Tst* Bricksi" and some other things. I would love to be able to create that single string as a rule. I've had upredictable results with a rule that is "Tst" and "Bricksi"

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• George Sullins
    George Sullins Member ✭✭
    Options

Sounds like I'm not the only one looking for an enhancement to renaming rules. Thanks for the upvoting. Hopefully we'll get something.
    New to Simplifi. Couldn't do Credit Karma, it was awful. No idea what they were thinking. Quicken user for 16 years, Mint for 5 years.

• bling
    bling Member
    Options

like many i also feel the current implemention of rules to be extremely limiting. however, in you case, you should be able to do something like this:

it's not as good as being able to enter "wf pl cc" directly, but this should be sufficiently unique enough.

another thing i've noticed is that these things don't have to match full words. e.g. "pl" will match "place".