Trying to get a handle on my finances

Options
Pokey
Pokey Member
edited February 14 in Introduce yourself!

I have always been the kind of person who pays the bill due without much thought to where my money is going. I have always worked with the mindset that I was fine as long as there was enough money to pay my bills. After receiving a promotion at work with a 25% pay increase, I decided to set a budget and plan expenditures for the future. I started using Mint about four months ago and all was well until they switched it over to Credit Karma at which point I found Simplifi. So far I've been using it for a little over a month and found it is addicting to constantly check your accounts and receive reminders on upcoming expenses. I am enjoying the savings goals feature and badges you can earn for achievements.

Comments

• Iwant More
    Iwant More Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello and welcome! I am a former Mint user as well and discovered Simplifi when they switched. I have been on the Simplifi platform a few weeks now and I like it. I have found the community to be welcomeing and helpful. It has been fun navigating the site and trying to figure out the different features. In my opinion, this platform has more features and I already feel more in control of my finanical health.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    Options

Welcome! I used Mint since 2014, been using Simplifi for over a month. I like the budgeting and the projected cash flows feature. I already cancelled some subscriptions I did not need.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Agent Sloopy
    Options

Did you have problems with the Credit Karma platform? I am finding that using Simplifi takes hours and hours of making corrections, going through each and every transaction and having to correct so many things, there are missing transactions, missing deposits, mis-categorized transactions, it is very very time consuming. I am thinking I just need to create excel spread sheets myself and avoid the tedious hours of confusing deposits, deposits not reported, confusing transfers, mis labeling of categories. If mint didn't have these problems could you let me know? This Simplifi is truly not helping, but creating more problems and stress for sure

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    Options

Credit Karma does not have budgeting and my net worth was always off by the amount of a loan I co-signed from someone that I could not exclude from net worth. The interface was more cluttered with ads than Mint and I cannot download my transactions as backup to CSV/Excel. The last step is something I am doing now as I do not want to lose data if the platform I am using decides to shut down. I believe Simplifi/Quicken will be around for the long run.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are the issues you describe specific to Mint imports or downloaded transactions? My downloaded transactions come down fine, minor changes needed on those.

Minter 2014-2023

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    Options

@Pokey

Welcome to Simplifi! I've been using Simplifi for two years now, going into my third year. I came over to Simplifi from Quicken Classic and have not looked back. Quicken had a budgeting feature that as far as I can tell was similar to Mint. But I never really cared for that type of budgeting and used Quicken for many of it's other features. But, when I found and started using Simplifi I found the Spending Plan to be the perfect tool for me to get a working picture and practical way to understand my day-to-day spending.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.