How do I unlink incorrect transfers?

Options
Emacken
Emacken Member ✭✭
edited March 1 in Using Transfers

I have a number of transactions at exactly $10: some monthly donations, one of which is on a credit card; then the payment to that credit card from my checking account (both of them in Simplifi, so both sides show up), and then I occasionally get $10 in cash and put an entry in my 'cash and prepaid cards' account for that. Frequently, Simplifi has matched up the wrong transactions as two sides of a transfer, and then when I try to correct that, it says 'if you edit this to no longer be a transfer, it will delete the other side' and I have to go back in and manually add the other transaction again. Is there a way to keep both transactions, but tell Simplifi they're not a transfer? Do I have to just change my donations to $10.20, $10.30, etc?

Best Answers

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Can you try and use the "Other Transfer" option? https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3352152-how-do-transfers-work#h_eac96254da

Also, can you try creating a rule designating the charity as the payee and the category as Charity? Maybe when saving the rule you can correct the transfer transactions. Delinking transfers just makes the other side uncategorized, which you can fix.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Emacken
    Emacken Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'll keep that in mind next time it happens and let you know! :) Delinking the transfer seems like what I want, I just didn't realize I had to switch it to a different transfer category first, then save, then switch it to the correct category.

The weird thing is I already have rules and recurring transfers set up for each of my donations, but I'll doublecheck in case I missed one.

Answers

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

While you’re figuring this all out, one thing to keep in mind is that - with Simplifi - if a transaction goes missing in one of your registers, it’s not the end of the world. Historic transactions don’t have any effect on the pending balance. Sure, they may drive nuts from an OCD standpoint, but the underlying calculations aren’t affected.

With that said, I would definitely run a test by changing your donations to $10.20, $10.30, etc. that seems like a logical next step. Unfortunately, I don’t know if it will be successful or not since I don’t know the underlying logic used by Simplifi to match up transactions.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Emacken
    Emacken Member ✭✭
    Options

Ugh, I was hoping I could avoid that, it's going to be such a pain. :P And it also wouldn't fix the issue of the donation on my credit card matching up with the card payment (it's my oldest card, I keep a monthly donation as the only thing on it to keep it active).

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Emacken did you get this figured out?

Simplifi can learn over time as you make corrections.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.