Categorizing dividends in an investment acct

Options
Troy
Troy Member
edited February 16 in Investments

just loaded all my data and have found dividends all came across as uncategorized. Tried to use the filter of transactions at an account level but the filter function doesn’t appear to work. The category field and the value of uncategorized are available but which applying the filter nothing changes and the same ~2600 transaction count displays. Too many transactions to go one by one so need to analysis all uncategorized and see if a rule will work. Thanks

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Troy, thanks for posting!

This sounds like the "Uncategorized" issue that's been reported by multiple other users in our Investment Transactions feedback post here:

This is something our product team is aware of, and they are still hard at work on improving the experience and functionality of Investment Transactions. With that, I'm not sure if there's a fast way to edit the transactions to correct the type; what's your end goal so we can do our best to help?

-Coach Natalie

• Troy
    Troy Member
    Options

First and foremost 100% of my income comes from dividends, interest and capital gains as required. Getting these coded historical (which was the origination of this issue) and each day is key for me to see cash flow, income and for the spending plan to work I believe. I haven’t started on that setup yet.

Without this I managed to get a report to work somewhat and I have recategorized them all today. However I am not sure i found them all.

In doing so I also noticed my CMA where all my bill payments comes from has a ton of uncategorized transactions. I began working on them today but there are so many and different categories I’m not sure I will be able to complete this for ~2 years of data without better filtering.

Next is understanding why they cam in uncategorized and fixing the root cause. Starting to watch thr new transactions to see if they categorize correctly or if I need to develop rules to assist. I am hoping the changes I made are learned from by the application.

When you don’t have a paycheck and use a CMA (cash Mgt account) at your brokerage for bill pay it appears the investment accounts need what I assume is th functionality of a traditional bank account which I don’t have.

I hope that helps. Mostly over the first time data load bump now so any insights on getting th app to learn to add rules for these scenarios would be very helpful.

As an fyi - once I started th correction nothing showed up and I realized that all my accounts from Fidelity where these accounts are we flagged to not include in reporting or spend planning. I assume this is an assumption you guys have made about how you expected investment accounts to be used. I hope these scenarios help you to understand other ways some of us use our “investment” accounts.

Happy to assist in any way.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Troy, thanks!

I'd suggest also leaving your feedback on our feedback post for Investment Transactions so it can be reviewed by our product team:

If you'd like to track the account as a banking type instead of an investment type in Quicken Simplifi, you can always update this under Settings > Accounts: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3453445-how-to-edit-your-bank-account-names-and-types#h_124f3a9397

Let us know if this works for you!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.