Citi Online Banking Connection Problems

Options
N0mad
N0mad Member

Yesterday, I was prompted to update my Citi account (three credit card accounts) connection to an "improved connection method" or something along those lines.

Up until this, I had no issues with Citi syncing my accounts. I already have 2FA disabled since Simplifi did not support 2FA with Citi when I set up the connection a few months ago. Now whenever I attempt to reconnect the account I get the following error:

"Your new Citi® credit card registration process is incomplete. Please sign on to Citi to complete the registration."

There is a button below this to sign into Citi Online, but this button does not work. I have signed into my Citi account and have even re-done all of my security settings. Reset security questions, etc. All of my credit cards are activated and I don't have any new ones in the mail. I've attempted turning 2FA back on. I can't for the life of me figure out what this error message would be talking about, and google only brings up a reddit thread from 2 years ago for Mint. I tried the steps someone suggested in the reddit thread to no avail.

I haven't seen anything on here listing this as a known issue so hoping someone may be able to help here.

Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can't guarantee this is the issue, but I seem to remember it (and this was something citibank MAY have asked me, i don't remember if it was at this step, or only when i turned on 2-step): They wanted me to authorize "something" in the citibank app, is it possible it wants to do that and you don't have the citibank app set up on a mobile device?

For me, mostly this went flawlessly, but that was for my Costco Anywhere card by Citi.

-Rob

Rob Wilkens

• N0mad
    N0mad Member
    Options

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case. I do have the Citi iOS app and have used it for years. This error pops up when trying to connect the accounts through the simplifi mobile app, as well as the simplifi desktop browser web app (have tried multiple browsers as well). Thank you for the suggestion though.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@N0mad, thanks for posting to the Community!

I'd suggest following these steps from the Quicken Simplifi Web App to see if you get better results:

1. Make all of your Citi accounts manual by following the steps here.
    2. Once you see the account(s) in the Manual Accounts section under Settings > Accounts, go back through the Add Account flow to reconnect to the bank.
    3. Carefully link the account(s) found to your existing Quicken Simplifi account(s) by following the steps here.

This should give you a fresh connection with everything. Let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• N0mad
    N0mad Member
    edited January 19
    Options

Thank you,

I just tried this and am still getting the same error message on the Citi authorization page. The only option I have from that page is to click cancel, and when it brings me back to Simplifi, I get the following message: " User Access Denied: Access Denied, Connecting with partnerUid: citi_Quicken for intuitProperty: quicken, intuitUserId:
    [removed], intuitRealmId: [removed] on user authorization, error_code: access_denied "

I don't know if that error message is of any use to you but this is all the info i have. I've also contacted Citi support and the only suggestions they had were steps I'd already taken.

• N0mad
    N0mad Member
    Options

To add to this: It does seem to be a problem with my Citi account. I just tried linking to another service (through Chase bank's "plan and track" feature) and got the same message.

I guess I'll just hope someone else has had this problem before or keep calling citi and hope to get the right support rep.

• cyclingtrav925
    Options

I also tried to reconnect my account by following these steps. The account connection request opens in a new window and nothing loads. I'm unable to connect my Costco Citi card :(

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @cyclingtrav925,

To assist with this issue, could you please provide a bit more information? Which web browser were you using that came up blank? If you haven't done so already, could you please try temporarily setting a different default browser and try reconnecting the account again?

Please let me know how it goes!

-Coach Kristina

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21
    Options

I just updated my Citi Costco Everywhere account with on problems. But, when I went through the process with Wells Fargo I had some issues. Ultimately I had to disconnect Quicken from the bank side to get things straightened out.

Maybe that will help with Citi.

Go to Citi and sign in to your account. Click on Profile and select More Settings. On the Settings page select Manage Desktop Apps.

Select Quicken Windows and click on Remove Access.

Now go back to Simplifi and work through the add account process to reconnect to Citi.

Don't know if that will fix the problems, but it never hurts to refresh your settings from time to time.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • cyclingtrav925
    Options

Hi Coach Kristina- I was able to successfully link my Costco Citi Anywhere credit card when logged in via Microsoft Edge Browser. Thank you for the advice!

• bytingbitnoodles
    Options

Did you ever get this resolved? Exact same thing is happening to me.

• N0mad
    N0mad Member
    Options

@bytingbitnoodles

Unfortunately, no. I am still convinced that it is a problem related to my Citi account and not on Simplifi’s end. What I suspect is that it has something to do with a new credit card I got a couple of months ago.

Basically, I applied for the card, but it got lost in the mail so I had to cancel that card before I even received/registered it. So now I suspect that my account is glitched or stuck in some sort of incomplete state that is giving this error. If you have done something similar recently that may confirm my suspicions.

Citi’s “support” is absolutely useless and I’ve had multiple agents, despite me telling them exact What I think the problem is, and that I’ve already tried all of their solutions to no avail, tell me they can’t help me and/or it must be a problem with Simplifi. Nobody on their support team seems to have the ability to think outside the script or transfer me to someone in IT.

• bytingbitnoodles
    Options

@N0mad

I kid you not, I literally spent all morning trying to fix this and finally got it resolved with numerous calls to Citi and Simplifi. I do think my online account was fubared as you mentioned (probably due to a Citi credit card I closed recently and even getting it unlinked with Citi didn't fix it).

I called Citi support and asked them to to blow away my online account and all credit cards linked to it, then I re-registered for an online Citi account and re-linked all my cards to it. One of my cards still wasn't able to be linked online and thankfully I had the same rep on the phone link it for me on the spot before I let her hang up with me. I retried the connection with Simplifi and bam, picked up all the accounts. Hope this works for you, I was so incredibly frustrated this morning being that Citi is my main bank and thus is super important for spending tracking.

• N0mad
    N0mad Member
    Options

@bytingbitnoodles

Thanks for this, I’m going to give them another call at some point and just directly ask them to delete my online profile so I can attempt to start from scratch. I’ve really exhausted all other options at this point, having gone through and changed every setting and menu on Citi’s website to try and find anything that might be causing this.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hey everyone, the Citibank OAuth API migration has been paused for now due to some issues. Once you're prompted to migrate again, please let us know if you still experience an issue doing so.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• A-Inc
    A-Inc Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie - on this topic, when I use Chrome browser to add Citi credit cards, authentication window comes blank. But when I use Edge software, I am able to see and input login and password. After this it ask me to select account to connect and when I press allow access button it is stuck at securing connection window. I have been trying this for last few days but with no success. Any solution?

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@A-Inc, thanks for reaching out!

I'd suggest trying with an incognito tab in Chrome. Let us know if that works!

-Coach Natalie

• msteuernagel
    Options

Hi,

Having the same problem accessing Citibank. I had it set up last week. A few days ago, Simplifi said I needed to refresh the connection, and since then, it's been impossible. I input my credentials, it gives me a page saying "incomplete registration," and asks me to log in. When I do, it takes me to my Citi account in the pop-up browser, but doesn't finish setting up the account.

I know this is a Citibank issue, because I am trying both Simplifi and Monarch, and am getting the exact same error when trying to connect my Citibank account to both of them. All other accounts work fine.

Would love some insight about how to fix this. I tried deleting the web app access permission on my Citi account as mentioned above, but it didn't make any difference.

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @msteuernagel,

To help troubleshoot this issue, could you please provide more detail about what is happening? You mentioned that you get redirected to the Citi website. What happens from there? Is it having you go through the process of authorizing the account, or is something else happening? At what point in the process are you getting stuck?

If you haven't done so already, here are troubleshooting steps that may help if browser extensions or security settings are causing the problem:

1. Temporarily disable security extensions such as pop up blockers, ad blockers, and anti-virus extensions in your default browser.
    2. If the issue persists, try clearing cache and cookies on your default browser.
    3. If the issue still persists, try temporarily setting a different default browser.
      1. Browsers that are known to cause issues with OAuth are Brave, duckduckgo, and kaspersky's secure browser.

I look forward to your reply!

-Coach Kristina

• msteuernagel
    Options

Just to finalize this, it seemed to be because of a card that had been mailed to me. Once it arrived and was activated, syncing restarted.

Thanks for your help.

This discussion has been closed.