Can't connect Chase credit card as biller (edited)

Options
stevet7717
stevet7717 Member
edited April 1 in Bills and Income

I created a recurring bill for my credit card payment and tried to connect it to the bank. The bank is Chase, so it's not some obscure bank. Chase is not shown in the list of biller institutions.

I created an account with the bank and Simplify shows all my credit card transactions, but the Bills and Payments feature doesn't know about the bank.

What's going on?

Tagged:

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21
    Options

Hi @stevet7717

In the support article about bill connect, there is this note: "Note: Some credit card companies are not currently available via Bill Connect, including Capital One, Citi, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo." I believe I've seen other's post the Chase doesn't work with bill connect either.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4962798-using-bill-connect-to-track-your-bills

Simplifi doesn't treat credit card accounts as recurring billing accounts. Payments to credit card accounts by default are treated as transfers and excluded from both the Spending Plan and Reports. The reason for this is that the charges to a credit card, the actual transactions are already accounted for in the Spending Plan or in planned spending and the actual cc payment covers these already accounted for expenses. This prevents double counting these expenses.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5142302-how-credit-card-payments-and-transfers-are-handled-in-the-spending-plan

I don't include cc payments as recurring payments in my Spending Plan although others do. I treat my CCs as "in arrears" checking accounts. and keep my payments as transfers that are excluded from the spending plan and reports. I do payoff my CCs at the end of each billing cycle and don't carry a balance. All CC spending is accounted for in our Spending Plan or our various Savings goals. If I did for some reason use a cc to make a major purchase I couldn't payoff immediately then I would set the CC up as a loan account and include the payment as a recurring bill. In this case I would be making a set payment each month on a certain date so bill connect to wouldn't be that helpful.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Dave5150
    Dave5150 Member ✭✭
    Options

I would love to have Chase show up as a biller so it shows the latest statement it's about to pay each month (I just have that on auto at Chase). Is this something we need to be petitioning Chase for? Or can Quicken be in contact with them to grease the skids?

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Dave5150, thanks for the inquiry!

Since we are aware that Chase is not supported as a Biller, there's not really a whole lot further that can be done from our end aside from supporting the connection if/when it becomes available again. In the meantime, you are certainly welcome to contact Chase directly to make your request to them/help make them aware of the impact.

You can also create a Missing Financial Institution Request to request Chase as a Biller. We can't guarantee that we'll be able to support a Biller when a request is made, but it at least allows us a place to keep users updated on the connection.

Otherwise, I'd suggest taking a look at this request:

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• Dave5150
    Dave5150 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Natalie! That does help, I'll fill out the request and see what happens.

• RockLee
    RockLee Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Is the inability to retrieve the bill amount something that simply isn't possible because of Chase, or is it something not implement on the Simplifi side?

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@RockLee, I'm honestly not sure, but I believe it was Chase who discontinued their bill pay service, and therefore their ability to be connected to as a Biller. But I could be wrong — the connection has been unavailable for quite some time now so I may be misremembering.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• Dave5150
    Dave5150 Member ✭✭
    Options

Just to follow up, I found this article on Quicken saying how Chase made this change back in July, but there's a workaround detailed. I'm curious if this is available for Quicken, why not for Simplifi?

https://www.quicken.com/support/chase-bills-no-longer-available-bill-manager

• chris_moceri
    chris_moceri Member
    Options

This doesnt make sense. Mint was able to do this? What made mint's way of seeing the bill amounts and due dates of institutions special that Simplifi cannot replicate?

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @chris_moceri,

We would not know what Mint did differently, unfortunately, but at this time Quicken Simplifi cannot connect to Chase as a Biller. In the meantime, I would suggest following the advice of @Coach Natalie regarding this issue that she listed previously.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

This discussion has been closed.