Lost Transactions During Mint Transaction Import Process in Simplifi (edited)

Options
Rstar
Rstar Member
edited February 23 in Report a Bug

Hello Simplifi Support Team,

I am creating this post to bring a critical issue to your attention regarding the transaction import process in Simplifi, and I'd appreciate your prompt assistance in resolving it.

Having recently migrated from Mint.com, I took the necessary steps to create CSV files for my transactions, aiming to import them seamlessly into Simplifi. However, I have encountered a major bug in the import functionality that results in the loss of transactions from the original file.

After investing a substantial amount of time attempting to import my data, I noticed inconsistencies in the total imported count for different accounts. Unfortunately, there seems to be no clear logic behind why transactions are dropped during the import process. This inconsistency has raised concerns, as I expected a straightforward import process.

To validate my concerns, I compared the transaction counts between Mint and the downloaded CSV from Simplifi, and the disparity is evident. I assumed that a simple import feature would function reliably, and I find it disheartening that the process has proven to be more complex and unreliable than anticipated.

As a user of a paid service, my expectations for the quality of the system are high, and I must express my thorough disappointment with this experience. The time invested in attempting to import my financial data into Simplifi feels wasted, and I believe that such a critical aspect of the service should function with more reliability.

I kindly request your immediate attention to this matter and a swift resolution to ensure the integrity of the transaction import process. Your assistance in rectifying this bug is crucial for my continued trust and satisfaction as a Simplifi user.

Thank you for your prompt attention and support.

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

As a user who has engaged both community support and chat support, I recommend sending support (either Community or chat support within app) more details including:

1. Screenshots of missing transactions: CSV file examples versus what shows in Simplifi. Redact these if posting here as the community is a public forum.
    2. Details on how you imported accounts: Did you link the accounts first, then import transactions to them? Did you use the multi account versus the single account importer, etc?
    3. The procedure you followed to import.

Hope you get the help you need. I completed an import before the new process was rolled out. Took hours as I matched totals to Mint as follows:

1. Income, expenses, and net income by year (2014-2023)
    2. Income by category by year
    3. Expense groups by category by year

I was able to import about 11,000 transactions and matched the totals for items above to the penny. I had missing transactions too and I entered them as needed.

Importing from Mint: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8545901-how-to-import-transactions-from-mint

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Rstar, thanks for bringing this to the attention of the Community!

I'd suggest following our troubleshooting tips and tricks here to see if they help get things sorted out for you: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8545901-how-to-import-transactions-from-mint#h_bde66f1ed0

Let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• Rstar
    Rstar Member
    Options

Hi Guys,

Thanks for you response. I have spent so much time trying to import to Simplifi. I would have hoped that Simplifi would have make it easier process as so many of the mint users are looking for a new home.

As far as the upload process goes, here are the steps I followed. I am confident that I followed the right steps as I watch the short videos and the instructions provided and carefully followed every step. Once I upload, I checked to see if the number of transactions in Simplifi matched the number of transactions in the mint CSV file. In this case, I have 2961 transactions (rows) and in simplifi it shows that only 2955 transactions uploaded. In order to see what was getting lost, I downloaded the CSV from Simplifi and compared that to Mint CSV. (See Screenshot). I made sure both files were sorted in the same order by date and did a simple Excel formula were the date in the row did not match (i.e. File1,CellA2 = File2, CellA2). I was able to see which rows were skipped as I went through this manual process. In some cases, it looses a few transaction and in other cases there a more then just a few.

• Rstar
    Rstar Member
    Options

Update: I wanted to see if it was possible to add the missing rows with another upload attempt only with the missing rows in the file. Unfortunately, those transactions still did not get uploaded. Despite my troubleshoot attempt, I am not able to figure out the logic in coding that is causing it to kick out these particular transactions.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are the missing transactions part of a split transaction or does the payee have special characters? Sometimes the missing transactions had no rhyme or reason and I just manually entered them.

Also, upload the missing transactions to a different account. Simplifi only imports a batch of transactions once per their support docs.

Minter 2014-2023

• Rstar
    Rstar Member
    edited January 24
    Options

Thanks for trying to help!

These transactions are not part of a split nor are there any special characters anywhere in the transaction content. I suppose I will have to do it manually as well. It just makes me skeptical about the quality of other functionality in Simplifi. Since it is a paid service, I had higher expectation.

I'm not sure what you mean by "upload… to a different account." Unfortunately, what I also realized is that if I upload to a different account, manually uploaded transactions (sometimes) don't get the option where you can change the account designation (that appears in transaction details) to the correct account.

I have spent way more time that I thought I would just moving my mint content and setting up Simplifi. Hope this is not a preview of further disappointing experience in the future on Simplifi platform.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24
    Options

I am happy to help. Upload to a different account means creating a new manual account and uploading the missing transactions there. Designate the new account in the CSV file.

Migrating years of transactions to a new platform is supposed to be time consuming, even if the import feature works properly. At least for me, I felt more comfortable checking the data, which takes time. Granted, the import process could be improved some more. It is better than two months ago, when categories did not come in at all. I quit importing then and came back a few weeks later to find categories were imported from Mint to Simplifi now.

I imported Mint data first to a competing product before trying Simplifi. I found that while the import went well there, the data updates for new data were inconsistent with disconnections and duplicates being downloaded. My net worth was wrong as the platform could not consistently recognize credit cards as liabilities. The platform also sorted transactions on the global transaction list by absolute value (a $15K expense was together with $15K in income) and had no support for balance updates as the user entered transactions manually in a connected account. A great import experience was not indicative of the experience with live data in that case. This is how I ended up in Simplifi and enjoying it so far.

Mint's CSV was also not clean for me. Had to delete duplicates and add transactions that Mint's synch missed to Simplifi. I noticed that my spending totals were low for some months from Mint data and I had to find the missing transactions and update them.

Minter 2014-2023

This discussion has been closed.