American Funds 401k missing Holdings (edited)

Options
LyT
LyT Member
edited February 1 in Investments

I got a new job this year that offers a 401k thru American Funds. I have my account connected and shows the contribution, but my Holdings is empty. Is this a known bug?

Also, my contribution is taken out of my paycheck. What should I categorize it as? Should it be income? I can't make it a transfer since it's taken out before my direct deposit and Simplifi has nothing to match it to.

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @LyT

Here are my shoot-from-the-hip ideas about your questions.

If your American Funds 401K account is connected, as far as I know Simplifi should have imported you holdings… if American Funds included that data in their download which I can't imagine why they wouldn't. I know there is something going on with Investments right now and this may be part of that.

In the mean time, you can add your holdings manually if you like. On the Investments > Portfolio page click on the blue + Add button in the Holdings area and fill in the details on the "Add holding or cash" popup window.

I have both connected and manual investment accounts. My connected accounts do keep my holdings up to date. I update holdings for my manual accounts.

As for paycheck deductions, again I'm going to give you my best guess. I would start by opening my paycheck transaction detail and click on SPLIT link to enter whatever paycheck deductions you want to track. (See this article for how this works: How to Track Pre-Deposit Paycheck Deductions.) For the contribution portion assign your 401K account as the category. If the funds have not been deposited in your American Funds account you you will receive a notice that a manual transaction will be created in that account. When the transaction downloads from American Funds it should match up with the manual transfer from your paycheck.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • LyT
    LyT Member
    Options

I can't add holdings manually and it doesn't seem to update the total amount either. It's whatever the amount was when I added the account.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@LyT, thanks for posting to the Community!

To clarify, are you just missing Holdings for the account, or are your Investment Transactions also not downloading? Since the account is connected to the bank, is the balance in the Accounts List correct (this is the list of all accounts and balances on the left side of the Dashboard on the Quicken Simplifi Web App, or the list of all of your accounts when you select "Accounts" from the Quicken Simplifi Mobile App)? What about the Market Value in the Investments Portfolio?

Also, which option are you connecting to for American Funds in Quicken Simplifi? Have you given all of these options a try?

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• LyT
    LyT Member
    Options

Hi @Coach Natalie. I connected with the 2nd one, American Funds Retirement Planning Center. This is my 401k account.

Within Simplifi app on Android, my "Holdings" tab has a market value of $0.00 with none of my stock symbols displayed. It's just blank. If I try to manually Add holdings with the + button, that option is greyed out and I can't click it. I do prefer it to automatically sync with the account though. The Balance of the account is the value that was in the account when I first connected to it. It has not updated since. None of my investment transactions are showing up either. It's just the initial Payroll Contribution.

• LyT
    LyT Member
    Options

Hi @Coach Natalie . It seems like, a week later, my American Funds account finally updated the Balance. However, the Portfolio section is still missing my Holdings.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@LyT, I'm glad to hear the balance at least updated!

To review this for an escalation for the missing holdings, please provide the following info:

1. The name of the account, as it appears in Quicken Simplifi.
    2. The balance for the account in the Accounts List in Quicken Simplifi (this is the list of all accounts and balances on the left side of the Dashboard on the Quicken Simplifi Web App, or the list of all of your accounts when you select "Accounts" from the Quicken Simplifi Mobile App).
    3. The balance for the account in the Investments Portfolio in Quicken Simplifi (if you have multiple investment accounts, you'll want to filter the page to just this account).
    4. The balance for the account as displayed on the bank's website.
    5. A screenshot of the holdings for the account in Quicken Simplifi (if you have multiple investment accounts, you'll want to filter the page to just this account).
    6. A screenshot of the holdings on the bank's website for a comparison.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• LyT
    LyT Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie Okay. I will DM you the information.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@LyT, thank you!

I went ahead and got a ticket filed for this issue and will let you know when we hear back.

-Coach Natalie

CTP-9024

• LyT
    LyT Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie The Holdings are now showing the proper Index Fund "Symbols", but they don't have the # of shares I own. Just a "-" for "Total shares" and a "Market Value" of $0.00.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@LyT, thanks for the update!

I passed this along and will let you know if they need any further info from you.

-Coach Natalie

• LyT
    LyT Member
    Options

Hi @Coach Natalie , any updates?

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @LyT,

I'm not seeing any updates on the ticket yet. It's still open and in work.

Thank you!

-Coach Kristina

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.